Hobie trolling motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
    How long will the toqueedo setup run on a charge and at what speed?
    I wouldnt think if the whole setup is only 15 lbs, the battery cant be that strong?

Is the torqueedo and evolve 2 different product?
    In my searches ive only seen an evolve torqueedo drive.
    http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com/...rolling-motor/

http://www.torqeedo.com/us/hn/home.html

http://www.torqeedo.com/us/hn/produc...-run-time.html

Seems like the your run time would give you a whole day of trolling and some spurts of high speed ........

Ask Shadyfisher ....... he has 1 .......... also the newer ones have an improved battery that is supposed to give even more power
    Last edited by Memory Maker; 10-25-2011, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Not that any of you bourgeoisie(LOL!!!) Hobie owners would ever consider such a common man's option, but I went with Tufnik's write up and love it! I use a regular group size 24 battery... and no wet but. Not as sleek, but an option and you could even use your revered peddle drives along with the motor

Notice that wake...LOL!

Comment

I'm too lazy for all the charging and setup stuff for a motor. They do look sweet though. I think by next spring there will be quite a MKF Armada out there for spring trophy season.

If anyone is interested in an Ultimate 14.5 Multi-sport, it has a similar hole up front like the Hobie for their propel drive (or any other trolling motor), and I'll make you a great deal!
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Looks like I've been called upon for comment in this post...

The technology that is in the Torqueedo evolve is years ahead of any minn kota + deep cycle battery setup - that is why it cost so much more. The motor and battery are both very light and will run me around as long as I want to stay out with some additonal propulsion from the pedal drive. On flat calm water I can get up to about 6mph at full throttle. You cannot run the motor wide open all the time or it wont last very long. The batteries by themselves are over $500 each, but I may think about getting another one next year so I can run at full throttle from place to place more, and for those marathon Va Beach trips that we sometimes like to get into...
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Oh no doubt those torqueedos are bada$$... I would love the light weight and extended usage... But I just can't lose all that weight from my pockets! Lol.

Comment

2 things with the lithium batteries; price and when the are discharged they stop not slow down and gradually but just stop

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
                Oh no doubt those torqueedos are bada$$... I would love the light weight and extended usage... But I just can't lose all that weight from my pockets! Lol.
                Ditto on that.
                We pay twice as much for a kayak to have the pedal drive and then pay more than what we paid for the kayak to put a motor on it.
                Something seems wrong with that logic.....lol
                2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Ditto on that.
                  We pay twice as much for a kayak to have the pedal drive and then pay more than what we paid for the kayak to put a motor on it.
                  Something seems wrong with that logic.....lol
                  Dude ......... what's wrong with your thinking .......... you get winded pedalling in Back river where there is little current .......... and you said paddling wasn't for you .........

What's gonna happen when you hit some REAL water ........ie CBBT .......

I bought my Yak because it was what I wanted and I got a deal ......... the engine for me is for my pleasure and for my safety. 60 and way out of shape could get me in trouble ..........

Yeah Torqeedo's are expensive but they have the technology etc ........ but it's definitely not as expensive as my Center Console .......... or the $25,000 you put into that Cabin Cruiser .......... and it gives me a whole lot more pleasure .........

Soooooo ........ ain't nuttin wrong with that logic .......... nuttin

Get what you want and can afford ........... and help others to achieve what they want .......... that's the "Logic"

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                    2 things with the lithium batteries; price and when the are discharged they stop not slow down and gradually but just stop

http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com/...rolling-motor/

"I ran the kayak until the battery was out and the kayak shut down. When battery power was down under 30% there was a blinking warning to go slow and preserve battery and at less tan 3% the motor shut off and would only run at low speed. By this time it was dark so I paddled back to shore.
                    The first video is Don O doing a speed pass in front of the dock."

What wet cell gives you a warning?

What wetcell will go down to 3% charge and less

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                      Dude ......... what's wrong with your thinking .......... you get winded pedalling in Back river where there is little current .......... and you said paddling wasn't for you .........

What's gonna happen when you hit some REAL water ........ie CBBT .......

I bought my Yak because it was what I wanted and I got a deal ......... the engine for me is for my pleasure and for my safety. 60 and way out of shape could get me in trouble ..........

Yeah Torqeedo's are expensive but they have the technology etc ........ but it's definitely not as expensive as my Center Console .......... or the $25,000 you put into that Cabin Cruiser .......... and it gives me a whole lot more pleasure .........

Soooooo ........ ain't nuttin wrong with that logic .......... nuttin

Get what you want and can afford ........... and help others to achieve what they want .......... that's the "Logic"
                      Sorry if that offended you.
                      That wasnt pointed at you.... just a general observation that popped in my head.
                      If you can afford it .... more power to you. Theres lots of times I'm 1st inline for the newer technology, this just isnt one of them.

As you mentioned, I have alot of money in my sea ray and plan to put even more in next season with an auto pilot, new Lowrance HDS 8, smartcraft guages and a mercmonitor. My sea ray is my main fishing vessel and I got the kayak to play around in.

I would love to have the evolve setup but just cant justify that expense right now as Im just now starting to check out kayak fishing. Who knows......After a few more outings I might just say the heck with it and sell everything. For now a DIY trolling setup for under $200 doesnt sound to bad. I'm 50 and out of shape ...lol and thought i would be sore today but feel pretty good. Pedaling and paddling should be some good exersize for me. A cheap trolling motor setup will help get to farther fishing areas though.

And I have no desire to go to CBBT in a kayak or in any other rough conditions. maybe down the road i might change my mind but for now I'll stick to calmer conditions on my kayak.

again...sorry if I offended you
                      I just posted the thread about the DIY trolling motor cause i thought it was a pretty cool setup.
                      Last edited by CAGE RATTLER; 10-26-2011, 06:07 AM.
                      2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

It is pretty hard to offend folks on this forum by posting your opinions- we are all a pretty diverse and tolerant bunch of folks that share a passion for fishing and doing things differently- as far as physical shape- FYI- I am 65, had a bunch of major surgeries, including complete removal of my large intestine two years ago...so some of us aren't olympic athletes in kayaking...we have youngsters, professionals, old duffers and everything in between here- I bought my 1st kayak back in March of this year- never sat in one before then- Pinch is new to kayaking after returning from military service earlier this spring and so are a lot of others that have really taken off fishing out of a kayak- as i fish more and more out of my kayak I discover little things that makes my day better and improve my catching ratio- kayaking has pluses and minuses from traditional boating. Overall, the lack of being able to run for miles and miles to fish different spots really isn't as much of a handicap as I thought it would be.
                        I just choose my fishing location a little better and fish it throughly under different tides- you would be surprised how effective that is. Having all the tools and electronics on a powerboat is very expensive- been there; done that- No matter what you do on a kayak it is a lot less expensive-
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Im young and in fairly decent shape. I bought my outback with evolve in July of this year. When I bought I was not looking to buy one with a motor, I was just looking for a hobie, but I found a deal I couldnt pass up and Im not looking back. I dont have a boat to fish from because I do not have the space for it right now and dont want to keep it at a marina. As others have said, you sure can put a lot of money into a kayak with all of the technology available but you sure can put a lot more into a boat.
                          Ryan
                          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Sorry if that offended you.
                            That wasnt pointed at you.... just a general observation that popped in my head.
                            If you can afford it .... more power to you. Theres lots of times I'm 1st inline for the newer technology, this just isnt one of them.

As you mentioned, I have alot of money in my sea ray and plan to put even more in next season with an auto pilot, new Lowrance HDS 8, smartcraft guages and a mercmonitor. My sea ray is my main fishing vessel and I got the kayak to play around in.

I would love to have the evolve setup but just cant justify that expense right now as Im just now starting to check out kayak fishing. Who knows......After a few more outings I might just say the heck with it and sell everything. For now a DIY trolling setup for under $200 doesnt sound to bad. I'm 50 and out of shape ...lol and thought i would be sore today but feel pretty good. Pedaling and paddling should be some good exersize for me. A cheap trolling motor setup will help get to farther fishing areas though.

And I have no desire to go to CBBT in a kayak or in any other rough conditions. maybe down the road i might change my mind but for now I'll stick to calmer conditions on my kayak.

again...sorry if I offended you
                            I just posted the thread about the DIY trolling motor cause i thought it was a pretty cool setup.
                            I'm not offended at all ........... I have a pretty thick skin and a very hard head .......... just trying to point out that there's nothing wrong with the logic .......... and trying to put it into perspective.

Bottom line is that there is a VERY diverse group here and everyone does things differently. The diversity is what makes this group great and the way 1 person's perference is not better or worse than anothers preference.

It's a pretty good group and we learn ALOT from each other. For example, I was looking for a battery powered bow light for my Yak and a way to attach and remove it. Shadyfisher85 made exactly what I wanted. Ordered the light on Monday .......... and there are many such examples .........

As far as an engine, I went the cheaper route and I found out that it didn't serve my purpose ............ I think the Torqeedo will but I haven't installed it yet. Waiting for the charger. Others have it and like it ......... and to me it makes alot of sense .......... Others like other solutions. Some like engines, others like pedals, others are purists .......... It's all good as long as we respect the different preferences, learn from each other and enjoy each others company .......... After all, We're all Yakin Brothers
                            Last edited by Memory Maker; 10-26-2011, 09:22 AM.

Comment

I am not so sure German technology is worth that much, when you consider the technology is not that sophisticated for the price.
                              The motor is packaged well, however, any of the trolling motors out there priced from $350 and up will do just as well. Maybe you're trying to justify the crazy money you spent on it or, you're working for the company, but to think $1800 for a 30# thrust motor with a battery and a skinny prop is reasonable, is just ludicrous.

Lets review your gripe.

(nd you get what you pay for .......... I went that route ....... bought the Islandhopper mount and a saltwater Motorguide 45 lb thrust and a 30 lb thrust and a large cap marine battery ............ had between 700 and 800 into it and it's not what I want. [U]Did the motor move you through the water or were you standing still?

He battery and the engine together weigh over 100 lbs and you only get about 4.5 mph. Battery takes up the space I need for my Hobie baitwell and has to be tied down pretty well or it will shift ........ almost turtled me the 1st time I tried it and I'm in a PA ......... also the side mount has a wide turning radius ...... etc etc etc ..........

Clearly, a pro angler is as stable as standing on a dock, and it can hand a lot more than 100# of batteries and motor and your weight, so what's the problem here, are you carrying that weight on your back?
                              Turn radius? couldn't you have used your rudder?

The Bass Yaks looks great but that's still ???????????

As far as I know bass yak system is a great system and, infact, it is so great, it is being copied by every hammer head out there, without giving Bass yak any royalties.

system that weighs less than 15 lbs with the battery (big deal) still not worth the money

A system that is German engineered for efficiency down to the prop ( compared to what trolling motor?) Are you comparing an $1800 system to $400 motor?

A system that has an infinite speed control both forwards and back ( Minn Kota and motorguide do the same for a fraction of the price)

A system that has equal energy forward and back ( both MK and MG do the same almost)

A system that has a lever (like a speed boat) control that is remote ( have you tried Nemesis by Island Hopper, does the same for 1/2 the price)

A system that has 2 kill switches incase you fall overboard and another one if the yak turns over ........ (OK you win on that one)

A system that takes the battery energy down to less than 10% of a charge and stays full power until it gets there as opposed to a lead acid battery where the engine starts to slow at around 40% of reserve and quits at 30%

Down to 10% which means you're dead in the water, so for $500 you can buy 4 AGM 80AH batteries that will last you a week at sea at full throttle or more if you want to be at sea that long in a PA

Well, I hope by now you've taken it out of the box and installed on you PA, and hopefully you're not regretting buying that torqeedo .

Comment

Oh here we go again. Seems like on several websites when there is a talk of engines, a brand new member shows up and presents arguments praising Bassyaks and never shows again. This person has been called out on several sites including the Hobie site.

Jus sayin ..........

Comment

Working...
                                X