Mounting a Transducer for the 385ci

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ryan,
    That looks interesting. If I didn't have the thru-scupper-hole transducer, I would certainly try that. Jim Sammons had a post on some forum discussing a suction cup transducer install similar to your link. In the past I thought about using the Mad Frog Liberator set up using a transom mount transducer. I opted to trade the Humminbird transom transducer for the thru-scupper-hole transducer from Humminbird.

medic,
    That's the method I thought you were thinking about. Adding the goop holds the transducer to the hull, but separation will eventually occur.

Under warm temperatures, I bet the vaseline will liquefy.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Yeah I bet the vaseline will liquify. The clip I posted shows something a little bit thicker than vaseline. I think that may stay in place. I no longer transport upside down now that I have a pick-up trk and an extension bar to support the part that doesnt fit in the bed of the trk. I think I may go to the method in the Hummingbird clip... and it looks like it is idiot proof. Thats pefect for me!! LOL Wish me luck. I may actually waite till the spring to do the installation though.
      Tom Brown
      Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
      2012 Hobie PA 14'
      Ocean Kayak Tident 13
      2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

I never had much luck with the thru hull so I gave up on it. I hang my transducer off the rudder and it's a lot more sensitive. I just run the wires through the hull, come out near the rudder and put a flat deck fitting (sold at marine west) to seal the wires. I'm surprised more people don't do it this way because of the increased sensitivity and the ability to read water temp. Every now and again I'll have to clear weeds off, but it's a simple pull of the "up" cord and a quick drop of the "down" cord and it comes off.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

While looking at the through the scupper transducers, I saw that they had a trolling motor transducer and thought I could probably just setup something with the current transducer that I have with some zip ties or hose clamps and pvc to attach it to my evovle. I don't think the through the scupper transducer will really workout for me with the outback. Do you have the transducer mounted in front of the rudder or in back of it, or on the side? I think I would put it in front of my motor to protect it from bumping into things.

I guess my only concern with mounting it on the back of the yak is that by the time you get readings of the bottom on the screen its already past...
          Last edited by Shady; 11-08-2011, 09:59 AM.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

The transducer is kinda off to the side and bottom. The bottom of the transducer aligns with the tip of the rudder and the front of the transducer aligns with the front of the rudder. It doesn't really hit anything. I guess it would if you're in a lot of shallow rocky water. I only used 1 bolt to mount the transducer so if I do bump something it just rotates out of the way. Also, if you are in that shallow water, don't secure your down rudder cord so that hitting something will just retract your rudder.

I secure the cable in 2 places using "P" clamps and screwing them directly into the rudder with very short, coarse screws...probably #2 screws. I drilled a small pilot hole first.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

I just mounted my new (to me) Humminbird on my FS12T and used the duct seal method to mount the stock transducer inside the hull. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet on the water (Friday or Saturday this week if the stars align in my favor and I can find affordable waders in my size).

I put the transducer in the front under the hatch and filled the keel area with duct seal until it was flat and wide enough to get the transducer set in and stable. It seems to hold securely but I will need to put something over it to protect it from getting knocked around when I put other gear in there with it.

Comment

I went that method with my First Transducer install and it worked great for a year and a half. I just put a bunch of the Duct seal over the transducer and it held in place for the duration. Good Luck.
                Tom
                Tom Brown
                2012 Hobie PA 14'
                Ocean Kayak Tident 13

Comment

I took a pool noodle and cut a section from it, then placed the transducer on top and used a sharpie to trace the outline onto the pool noodle slice. I then cut the section out being careful to cut inside the drawing line to insure a tight fit. Then I placed the pool noodle in proper position and used marine goop to adhere the pool noodle inside the kayak and let dry. After drying I just about filled the cutout with marine goop. Then I took the transducer and carefully rocked it back and forth until I was able to push it down as far as it would go. The remaining pool noodle was cut long enough to wedge it between the transducer and underside of top of kayak to hold pressure on the transducer for about 24hrs to dry. It has been in place for 2yrs and has worked perfectly. The pool noodle helps absorb any impact from normal items stored in hull.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Great idea Harry. I like it and if I don't get the threw-the-scupper transducer I may just use that noodle thing!
                    Tom
                    Tom Brown
                    2012 Hobie PA 14'
                    Ocean Kayak Tident 13

Comment

I like the pool noodle thing too, thanks! I think I will take out the duct seal and do that.

Comment

I did use wet sandpaper to prep the area in the kayak where i was using the goop to help with adhesion.

Comment

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
                          I did use wet sandpaper to prep the area in the kayak where i was using the goop to help with adhesion.
                          I am glad to see that I am not the only one here who used Goop to attach a transducer (I have used the technique on two kayaks and a fiberglass skiff without experiencing any movement of the transducer due to cracking in the adhesive). Your refinement of adding the pool noodle cutout is a step more sophisticated than mine.

Regarding your note about sanding the area, I would add that after sanding, wipe the area with a mild solvent (I used rubbing alcohol) to remove any oily material that could impede good adhesion.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis
                          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Tried the new FF out on Friday, duct seal used to mount the transducer worked great!

Comment

Yeah- it does- I use a duct seal wet well on mine and sealed it completely by covering the transducer all over with duct seal- uses a minimum amount of water or other liquid fluids that way-no air bubbles-
                              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Surfdog showed me that method of using the Duct Seal Puddy tyoe material. Mine held for over a season and a half. I'm probably gonna use the same method again for the 385ci but I Really want to try the method that Hummingbird recomends as well. TOO MANY DECISIONS!!! LOL
                                Tom Brown
                                2012 Hobie PA 14'
                                Ocean Kayak Tident 13

Comment

Working...
                                X