No announcement yet.

Kayak Bumper/Side Protectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got my sample the other day, I'm pretty interested in the stuff too. I think I would do black if I order it as I have a darker green color kayak.

I also plan to contact the company to sponsor the tournament, hopefully donate 1-2 kayaks worth of the stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockchaser View Post
      I was reading the letter that came with my sample WRONG. You can order 2" wide colors by the foot OR in rolls of 100'. Sorry for any confusion. If I can get the sample on my yak in the morning I will give a report tomorrow night. Should be at least 70 degrees to install, I am going to give it a try at a much lower temp.
      Can you bring the kayak inside house?

Joe
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I took my yak down to my shop last Saturday and warmed it up a bit. I used a heat gum to warm the sample and it went on very nicely. It conformed to the yak in every direction.

I went to Kipto on Sunday and proceede to smack the s@#t out of the stuff on the ships. A few hits were much harder them I would have liked them to have been, the wave action was rough to say the least.

The Keeleazy took a hell of a beating and held up great. I will post some pictures later tonight. I will deffinetly be buying enough to do around the sides of the yak and the front and back sections of the bottom.

I got my sample in yellow, it is brighter them the Hobie so I am not sure what color I will go with yet.
        Jim

Hobie Outback
        TKAA member
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Just sent off for a sample. This stuff looks more and more interesting. They may have a new customer.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Comment

Here are a few before and after pictures of Keeleazy on the front of my Outback.
            Attached Files
            Jim

Hobie Outback
            TKAA member

Comment

The third pic shows that the tape can be torn. It looks to me that the tape is not quite barnacle proof. I am still waiting for my samples.

Joe
              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                The third pic shows that the tape can be torn. It looks to me that the tape is not quite barnacle proof. I am still waiting for my samples.

Joe
                It can be torn but it took a hell of a beating. I was trying to rub the ships like a normal day out but Mother Nature was having her way with me. I rammed one of the ships so hard I wasn't sure if I had taken the nose off. It took a row of barnacles off the ship.

That was the end of my R&D for the day.

I may double up on some of the more hit spots. All in all, I am a fan.
                Jim

Hobie Outback
                TKAA member

Comment

I definitely think this product would be more efficient than layered tape, the sample is pretty tough, although it can get cut.

On another forum a guy suggested Line X Marine Grade as another option.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockchaser View Post
                    It can be torn but it took a hell of a beating. I was trying to rub the ships like a normal day out but Mother Nature was having her way with me. I rammed one of the ships so hard I wasn't sure if I had taken the nose off. It took a row of barnacles off the ship.

That was the end of my R&D for the day.

I may double up on some of the more hit spots. All in all, I am a fan.
                    Did you ever make an orde for the Keel Eazy stuff?

I found this company too... www.Keelsheild.com might be worth a look.

Comment

The line-x bed liner installers do keels of boats. Maybe the line-x material would stick to a kayak. That stuff is sprayed on.

Also, if you are going to fish those ships alot, how about dock edge type materials. The stuff that you put around the edge of a pier. Some older types of canoes used to have heavier type bumpers on the sides to protect againt rocks.

I am mostly an open water fisherman. That looks brutal.

Comment

No I never did. After several failed trips to Kipto this year I didn't give much more thought. I need to do something soon.

I can check with the LINE-X guy behind my shop and see what he thinks about using it on yaks.
                        Jim

Hobie Outback
                        TKAA member

Comment

look at pex 1/2" or 3/4" hose, used for water supply/ radiant heat comes in coils at lowes very rigid can use heat gun or hair dryer to make turns, use left overs for running wires aireators etc.says the contactor, dont know how to fish but i can build a house, ha or cheap way is that corregated black drain pipe which cuts with a utility knife. in the plumbing isle is the shower floor material made out of grey pvc very durable and have a glue that bonds it to itself x15 or something like that , this would allow you to layer it to a decent thickness as neededand could be covered with the tape , or tape over some chicken wire, close mesh,1/2 squares in the garden center. rollit out and cut lengths hold in place with tape. hope im not intruding with with my 1 cent. just got cb's old boat im new to everything. tonite im just getting ideas how to fit my boat for sport fishing and what to expect,
                          Last edited by stevewoods; 02-24-2012, 05:48 PM.

Comment

I've been thinking about a cheaper method for while and finally gave it a try. I had an old garden hose lying around and cut it lengthwise. I then taped it to the yak. Hard part was cutting the hose straight and even.

(As mentioned earlier, I use 3M 6969. It is a much better tape than Gorilla or other cheap duct tape).

For the front section of the yak, I had three pieces of hose. The nose piece, about 10 inches long, was a whole piece. In other words, it was not cut lengthwise. I did cut slivers out at the bend points so the hose would bend around the nose easily. The other two pieces were for the sides, and they were cut lengthwise.

I tested it during my recent trip to HRBT. It was not a severe test, but I did have it bang against the piling columns. The hose did a fairly good job in absorbing the shock as the yak hit the column. The tape got cut up, but the hose retained it's shape. I figure if it got bad, the tape could easily be replaced. I think it's a pretty good cheap solution.
                            Attached Files
                            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Test Results

After a trip at HRBT.
                              Attached Files
                              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

....... got my YAk attack protector stuff yesterday .......

Comment

Working...
                                X