Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ascend A10 project

Hey guys!

New to the forum and to yaks. I got this bad boy for christmas and I'm incredibly excited to get some fishing hours on it when the weather gets warmer.

I've looked at a few other builds for the particular model and they all look fun! I checked out iboats.com a few weeks ago and ordered 2 flush rod holders. Just put them in today so now I'm looking into some other pieces. I'd like to install a scotty rod holder up front as well as my fish finder.

The A10 has plenty of leg room so I'm considering putting the fish finder under one of the cup holders in the front. I honestly have no clue if it will work so if anybody has any tips they would like to share they would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also looking for some kind of half skirt to keep the water out during colder months.

Here are some pictures from today's work.
    Attached Files
    Ascend A10

welcome splitscreen, where do you typically fish?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
      welcome splitscreen, where do you typically fish?
      Thanks! I live on the bush so I've spent most of my time in that general area. I have spent a good bit of time at fishermans park at the conowingo dam and I've logged no more than 4 hours in the gunpowder. I did take a trip down to solomons island last summer and rented a boat. Not too much luck with fish but holy crap was it a great experience.
      Ascend A10

Comment

welcome aboard!!

Comment

Welcome aboard! My first kayak was the Ascend FS10, which is the fishing kayak version of the A10. Now this is my backup or skinny water kayak. It sounds like you are equipping your A10 to be like the FS10. The only things I've added to my FS10 are an anchor trolley, milk crate with extra rod holders made of pvc pipe and Fishfinder. Here it is:

I mounted the the fishfinder over one of the cupholders using a piece of old cutting board. The transducer is setup through-hull and it mounted under the seat with Ductseal.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
            It sounds like you are equipping your A10 to be like the FS10.
            You're correct! The price difference between the A10 and the FS10 is ridiculous when you consider the small amount of work and cheap parts. Plus I do enjoy the idea of the ability to customize. I don't think I will bother with the bunjee. Why the crate though?
            Ascend A10

Comment

I also have and FS-10 and have used and abused it to great effect I thought about going with the A-10 but the main reason I didn't was the foot pegs. The rest of it would have been simple enough to install but I wasn't sure about them. I've been using a portable fish finder in mine but am considering installing a more permanent solution similar to what Shady did. Under the dash would be a consideration except I think I am going to install a radio there The crate is nice to store extra gear up and out of any water that might gather in the tankwell area. Good fishin and welcome aboard!

Chimo

Comment

Welcome to the addiction!!

Comment

Originally posted by chimo View Post
                  The crate is nice to store extra gear up and out of any water that might gather in the tankwell area.

Chimo
                  AH! I need to get myself one of those then. Any idea where I might find one? Also is the A10 bay worthy? I'd love to take it out to the bay bridge for some rockfishing.
                  Ascend A10

Comment

Pick your days and keep an eye on the weather and you will be fine at the bridge. You will get some water splashing into the cock pit when the wind gets up and starts pushing the water. The waves tend to slap the hull and splash a little water in but I haven't had it be an issue yet. The tankwell can also double as a live well. Just dump some water in and add an aerator. Keeps spot alive like a charm when live lining. You can find crates at Basspro and other outdoor shops. I've seen them at walmart as well. The best ones, the heavy duty ones are the ones convience stores and what not use for shipping milk or whatever. Not sure what the legal ways are to obtain those though

chimo

Comment

Welcome aboard.
                      2012 Hobie Revo 13'
                      2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

welcome to the forum and the fun. You will surely be able to catch plenty of fish in that boat...Shadyfisher certainly has. Some of my favorite spots are best fished in a boat like that (St. Jerome's Creek mouth, Lower Hoopers Island shallows). Hope to see you on the water
                        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Thanks everyone! Good luck on the water today
                          Ascend A10

Comment

Finally found 1/4'' stainless steel bolts to install the 3rd rod holder on the dash. The install was pretty easy. Although it is a little uneven. I decided to go with the berkley rod holder shown. I feel like the scotty rod holder was way too big. Hopefully it will get the job done. I love the mechanics of this rod holder! I'll be launching from Mariner Point Park in joppatowne early tomorrow for some yellow perch. Depending on the weather conditions I may head down to maxwell pt as well.
                            Attached Files
                            Ascend A10

Comment

Rod holder looks good.

Let us know how you do fishing out of Mariner point.

I fished out of Mariner point in my FS 10 in November and went to the trainbridge to catch some Stripers. That was a far enough paddle for me. Maxwell point is quite a bit further than the trainbridge, be careful if you go out that far.
                              Ryan
                              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                              X