No announcement yet.

What do you use as an anchor line cleat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a cam cleat. It is quick to release. On my last kayak it was mounted along the gunnel sort of to the rear of the seat, as to be out of the way. On my new kayak it is mounted on a gear track. That way if I am not using the cleat, it will be in my tackle box. I also mounted some Scotty rod holders on the same gear track. The gear track is worth the money spent. West Marine has many cam cleats available, at least the one in Annapolis does. There are a few Harken models on clearance. They are located just behind customer service, on the wall.

I use Harken Carbo cheek blocks on the ends of the anchor trolley. I don't really think you need blocks, but they are nice. I have seen some just use eylets. The blocks keep things moving smooth.

I keep a couple small floats on the anchor line, just in case I need to break away. With the cam cleat it is just a matter of lifting the line.

Comment

Well, I installed my anchor trolley... can't say I'm thrilled about having yet another thing on the yak, but I've missed having one a few times, so now I've got one.

I ended up putting the cleat behind the seat near the gunwale as some suggested.

Thanks for the input.

Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Hi,

I'm new, just signed on to the group. I found out about you folks at the Basspro sale on Sunday, 2/26. Thanks much to the volunteers manning the table, they gave me great advice.

Having been a sailor on the bay for 40 years, you can get any kind of cleat at West Marine. You can scope them on line and then buy at your local store. If they don't have it at your particular store, they will order it from another Maryland store and have it within a day.

Regards,

John

PS I don't have a kayak at present but plan to buy a Ocean Kayak Trident 13 to use when I don't feel like taking out my boat.
        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Welcome to the board john from md!
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback

Comment

Just to follow up. I used my anchor for the first time this weekend, and I was very happy with the placement of the cleat behind the seat. I can easily reach it and can keep the excess rope out of the way back there. I also like the cam cleat. It worked well. Thanks again for the advice.
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback

Comment

I plan to get use a cam cleat as well to complete my anchor trolley. Thinking I may put it underneath the pro angler rails.

Quick release will be nice, just in case you need to drop the anchor. I will configure some sort of float attached to the anchor line.

Comment

"I used my anchor for the first time this weekend"

Chex, how deep were you and how much rode did you use?

BTW, there is a company called NAUTO US on ebay selling composite ball bearing cam cleats. I just got two for Twenty bucks.

I have been using the 4 inch pool noodles for floats over the years. I usually paint them with flourecent orange so I can see them better. Much cheaper than buying ready made floats.

New Trident 13 should get to ANP Canoe and Kayak today!

Regards,

John
                John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
                  Amazon says they're out of stock with no date for availability. Hook 1 has them, here''s a link to their page showing all 3 styles.
                  http://kayakfishinggear.com/anchorsa...cessories.aspx

BTW, is it hook 1 we're supporting or is there another sponsor?
                  Supporting Hook1 ......... we get a 10% discount too

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                    Chex, how deep were you and how much rode did you use?
                    I was anchoring in spots between 10-15 feet. I'm not sure how much rope i was using. I was letting it hit the bottom and then letting maybe 10 extra feet out.
                    Mike S.
                    Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks for the update.

John
                      John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

"What do you use as an anchor line cleat?"

Ummm... my foot...
                        Damn, I need to make some upgrades.

Comment

Working...
                        X