Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowrance Elite 4 FF question

Hi,

I am looking at buying a Lowrance Elite 4 fishfinder for the new kayak I haven't bought yet.

In my boat, I have Hummingbird and have used them for at least 40 years. I looked at the Pirhanamax 190c but it only has a single freq and I also felt that the Lowrance had better feature controls. Any comments?

How about the Garmin Echo 300c, anyone using one of these?

Also, does anyone know if the Lowrance transducer will fit in the transducer well on the Ocean Kayak Trident 13?

Regards,

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

im looking at getting the 4x dsi. can't beat it for the money.

i was talking to some of the guys at Bass Pro this past weekend and they told me to stay away from the garmin ff. Lots of problems and complaints with them.

Go with the lowrance!
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I just ordered the 4x dsi last week. Cant wait to play with it.
      Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Just bought the Elite 4 last weekend and used it for the first time at Piscataway Creek fishing with Moc. Seemed to work great! Only thing that was odd was how loud the unit was when I put it into the dual 83 / 200 hz mode No noise when I had it in the 200 hz mode which is how I ran it most of the day but once I switched it into the dual mode the transducer started clicking pretty loud. I was able to pick up my 1/2 ounce spoon in 20fow as long it was under the yak using a duct seal wet well.

Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by chimo View Post
          Just bought the Elite 4 last weekend and used it for the first time at Piscataway Creek fishing with Moc. Seemed to work great! Only thing that was odd was how loud the unit was when I put it into the dual 83 / 200 hz mode No noise when I had it in the 200 hz mode which is how I ran it most of the day but once I switched it into the dual mode the transducer started clicking pretty loud. I was able to pick up my 1/2 ounce spoon in 20fow as long it was under the yak using a duct seal wet well.

Chimo
          did you get the dsi model?
          Hobie Revolution 13
          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by Grilled Sardine View Post
            did you get the dsi model?

Nope, Just the Elite 4.

Comment

I just ordered my second Lowrance elite 4 dsi/chartplotter combo, and I can't wait. Star Marine had the best price when I ordered on Saturday morning. I found out this morning that they wouldn't have one till the second week of March. Their price was $249 + $16.95 shipping.

Cabelas has a $5 shipping special ending today, but the unit was $10 more. Did a little math and saw the savings with the $5 shipping so I canceled with Star and ordered from Cabelas. Better yet, when I went back to Cabelas to place the order the price had dropped to $249. Ended up saving $20 and I'll have it Monday. Still can't wait, but at least it's on the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
                I just ordered my second Lowrance elite 4 dsi/chartplotter combo, and I can't wait. Star Marine had the best price when I ordered on Saturday morning. I found out this morning that they wouldn't have one till the second week of March. Their price was $249 + $16.95 shipping.

Cabelas has a $5 shipping special ending today, but the unit was $10 more. Did a little math and saw the savings with the $5 shipping so I canceled with Star and ordered from Cabelas. Better yet, when I went back to Cabelas to place the order the price had dropped to $249. Ended up saving $20 and I'll have it Monday. Still can't wait, but at least it's on the way.
                Did you mean $349??? I just checked both sites and that was what they were showing... $249 and I would have to buy a couple!

Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by chimo View Post
                  Did you mean $349??? I just checked both sites and that was what they were showing... $249 and I would have to buy a couple!

Chimo
                  OOPS....someone was in a hurry for dinner and I was holding it up.

Comment

[QUOTE=john from md;28655]Hi,

I am looking at buying a Lowrance Elite 4 fishfinder for the new kayak I haven't bought yet.

In my boat, I have Hummingbird and have used them for at least 40 years. I looked at the Pirhanamax 190c but it only has a single freq and I also felt that the Lowrance had better feature controls. Any comments?

How about the Garmin Echo 300c, anyone using one of these?

Also, does anyone know if the Lowrance transducer will fit in the transducer well on the Ocean Kayak Trident 13?

You will need a through hull transducer for the scupper hole mount on an Ocean Kayak. Johnson Outdoors owns Ocean Kayak and Humminbird. That is why Humminbird transducers tend to fit better into those areas.

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                      Hi,

Seems like i have heard it mentioned to use some sort of closed cell foam to form a mount for other brands of transducers besides hummingbird in scupper holes.... I wonder if you could position the transducer in the desired location and then use expanding foam to lock it in place... Anybody have a reason this wouldn't work

Chimo

Comment

I mentioned it in another thread about the Lowrance through the scupper hole mounting kit. It should be on the West Marine web site. I saw it in the new 2012 catalog. It mounts the skimmer type transducer through the scupper hole. The skimmer is what comes with your unit. It works on most Lowrance skimmer transducers. It fits scuppers from 15/16" through 1 1/2". Maybe that could help you. I think it cost Like $39.99.

I have thought about making my own out of PVC, all thread and some toggles. A ready made kit seems better. Good Luck.

Comment

Just a thought, ask anyone who has ever dealt with customer service at Lowrance and they will tell you they will never buy another Lowrance product. Ask a Lowrance rep at a show if they have had any issues with customer service.....

Comment

I'm also considering the elite 4X DSI model and wondering what type of battery setup I'll need to run it.
                            Also wondering if this will work ok in shallow water since i dont go out to deep .. yet.
                            2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                            2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by dhmjd View Post
                              Just a thought, ask anyone who has ever dealt with customer service at Lowrance and they will tell you they will never buy another Lowrance product. Ask a Lowrance rep at a show if they have had any issues with customer service.....
                              I have heard this of lowrance however no one can compete with the features at the price point for the elite 4 dsi.
                              Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Working...
                              X