paddle question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paddle question

New to yak fishing, just bought a kayak which is fairly wide, the malibu stealth 12. What length paddle should i get? Wouldnt a longer one be better with the wide kayak? I was going to buy a 230cm one but wanted to get some advice first.

I've found that it kind of depends on your arm length and preferred paddling angle. Long arms and a high angle stroke can get away with a shorter paddle. I'm tall, and my hands can hit the water pretty easily when I paddle my Tarpon and Revo (30" and 29" respectively), so I use a 220cm paddle. A flatter angle requires a longer paddle. I also think using a shorter paddle requires more torso rotation, which is better form and eventually produces better endurance than just using your arms. Personally, I think most kayak shops recommend paddles that are too long, but your mileage might vary. I think Hobies come with 230cm paddles now (used to be 240cm), so that might be a good average for the market.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I am 5'10"/ 5"11" and was using a 34" wide kayak. I was using a 240cm. If I remember correctly, the Stealth is 33" wide. The 240cm worked just fine for me. I use more of a low angle paddle style. The high angle paddle style just seems like more work than is needed. When you are paddling long distances the low style seems to be a more sustained type or way to go. There are times, when digging is necessary, but overall the low style seems better for me. Just my opinion. Also, you should get the lightest and best paddle you can afford.

Also remember, it is important not to mount things in the way of your paddling. Sometimes its the little things that get in your way. I would also recommend a paddle with bright orange blades. That way you can use them to gain the attention of approaching boats, if necessary. Sometimes you may want to make sure they see you. I'm just say'n.

PS: The Stealth is a really nice kayak.
      Last edited by DOGFISH; 03-08-2012, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Don (DOGFISH) makes a good point about paddle weight. I was surprised at the difference between an aluminum paddle and a fiberglass or carbon paddle of the same length.

I forgot to mention that Bending Branches makes adjustable paddles. I have one that goes from 225 to 240. They're pretty nice, and they were only slightly more expensive than the fixed length paddles back when I bought mine.

Anyhow, have fun looking for a paddle. There are a lot of good choices out there.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Bought the T-1 (230 cm) from Pacific Designs three years ago. Light and durable. Very happy with it. Would buy another one.

The site also has an article on length and blade selection.

http://www.pacificpaddles.com/
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
          X