baitcaster VS spinning reels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baitcaster VS spinning reels

Now I'm sure this is a long debated subject and mostly a personal preference thing.. or is it? I only had one bait casting reel and it was about 10 years ago. It was also very cheap so I don't think I gave bait casters a fair shot. Could someone please fill me in on the pro's and con's for a kayak fisherman?
    -Jon
    Revo 13

In my short time in a kayak and with a baitcaster I cannot contribute a lot, but the one pro I've noticed is a baitcaster (by design) is more out of the way. Because it sits above the rod you are less likely to hit it on your legs, paddle etc. The one con I've notice is they can be difficult to cast while sitting down. I suppose this improves with practice.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I don't have very much experience either, but what I like about the baitcaster is that I can keep it in free-spool and control the line with my thumb. When jigging while drifting for example, I can let out more line when I get into deeper water and don't feel the bottom anymore, without having to cock the bail. It's also useful if you cast too far and want to slow your cast down before it hits that tree. You can do it gently instead of having to abruptly stop it as on a spinning reel. So it makes it easier to perfectly position your lure once you get the hang of it.
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
        It's also useful if you cast too far and want to slow your cast down before it hits that tree. You can do it gently instead of having to abruptly stop it as on a spinning reel. So it makes it easier to perfectly position your lure once you get the hang of it.
        +1 on this part. I like the ability to fire a lure low and under hanging tree branches. Another thing i like about baitcasters/conv reels is the ability to palm the reel when working something really slow. you can keep your index finger on the main line and feel for those real light taps of a fish.

Comment

You can read all about the pros and cons, but the bottom line is you just got to try it on the yak.

Here's some BC converts.
          http://www.snaggedline.com/showthread.php?t=2887
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I've been fishing baitcasters for the last 20 years. I still own a few spinning rigs. I never liked that my line would spiral and twist with a spinning rig. I mainly got into BC years ago because all the pros in Bassmaster magazine used them.
            Once I got used to them I never looked back. At first I had quite a few nasty birds nests but eventually I got the hang of it. I still get the rare backlash when my lure makes contact with something before I want it to like when casting under a dock and hitting the dock by accident.

Comment

Bait cast reels will always out distance spinning reels. That said, do you really need to throw that far in a yak?

I keep different rods rigged for different fishing. I don't take a particular system for the sake of the system but for the type of fishing I will be doing with it. For instance, when vertical jigging, I always use a bait caster as it has better movement for that type of fishing.

The debate over spinning vs bait cast will probably be going on well after I am gone to the fishes.
              I will say that spinning reels can be had for less money than a similar bait caster.

Regards,

John
              John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
              MK Endura Max 55 backup power
              Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

For the most part it is a matter of personnel preference but I keep both on hand. BC reels are great for the cranking power, lack of line twist and being able to thumb the spool but I would like to see someone skip lures under trees / docks with one and I prefer spinning when using light tackle and finesse techniques.

Chimo

Comment

I agree with Wayne. There is a need for both. I use bait casters for hearier type lures and spinning for lighter type baits. I also use spinning when bait fishing for things like croaker. As to the one comment, to some extent, you can finger or feather your cast with a spinning rod, by simply extending your casting finger into the line spiral as it leaves the spool. This will drastically drop the cast. I also agree about shooting or casting a light lure under a dock or tree. One of my favorite spinning tactics is to grab the lure at the bend of the hook and pull back on the line, bending the tip of the rod, then release it to sling shot the lure under a dock or low hanging cover. Hey, its all fishing for me.

Comment

Originally posted by chimo View Post
                    For the most part it is a matter of personnel preference but I keep both on hand. BC reels are great for the cranking power, lack of line twist and being able to thumb the spool but I would like to see someone skip lures under trees / docks with one and I prefer spinning when using light tackle and finesse techniques.

Chimo
                    It is called flippin or pitching- done a ton of it bass fishing back in the day- It allows the lure to enter the water with barely a ripple- can't figure out how to do it sitting, though...
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                      One of my favorite spinning tactics is to grab the lure at the bend of the hook and pull back on the line, bending the tip of the rod, then release it to sling shot the lure under a dock or low hanging cover. Hey, its all fishing for me.
                      Also called a bow and arrow cast amongst us lon-grodders.

Comment

Working...
                      X