FF mounting on a Prowler 13 T angler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FF mounting on a Prowler 13 T angler

I am concerned that the sonar shield area on a Prowler T 13 will be too far away to reach and maybe see the fish finder with my old eyes. The fish finder I'm planning on getting is a HB 597. Sitting back in the seat, I am a fair distance from the FF.

Does anyone see any issues with mounting it on the MOD POD?

Also, I was thinking of making my own flag pole out of PVC. To stiffen it, I was thinking of filling the inside with expanding foam, the type made for windows that does not expand as much.

Regards,

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

I know of some guys that have done that, and have also put another mount on the inside of the modpod to keep it out of the way when not in use. The only issue I see is the connection of the wires, unless you put a quick disconnect.
    '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
    '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
    Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

I use my Piranha Max 170 (b &w screen) in the well under the shield on my T13. Has small screen but it seems fine, even with my old eyes. I frequently open up the rod pod so mounting the FF on the cover is not a good idea for me.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I assume you either have long arms or don't fiddle with the different screens on your fish finder.

I like to change the views and also, since I use chartplotters, I also like to make waypoints. I don't see doing that on the Prowler set up.

Can the Prowler use the Mod Pod in place of the Rod Pod?

Regards,

John
        John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

I have used the sonar shield area, and it is along way for reaching. For seeing the screen, I did not have much of a problem with my older 385. It will be out of reach in the well and shield area. I mostly would use one split view of GPS/sonar. However, the reach just won't work.

Comment

John,
            I have a Trident 13 also and have mounted the FF (a HB 535) in the sonar shield area. I don't have a GPS and don't mess with the FF too much so the distance is not a problem for me. If I want to change the view I just use mmy paddle to push the button. The screen size is fine for that distance. I recently purchased the mod pod from Austin Kayak and installed it. Iit is interchangeable with the original rod pod. My OK Prowler t-13 did not come with the original rod pod so I had to cut out the spot for the mod pod. It works great and i like the Scotty/Ram mounts. It also has the predrilled holes for mounting the Humminbird base. As for the wiring, I don't know how you would run them and be able to open the pod for access while on the water.
            Hobie PA 12

Comment

"I don't know how you would run them and be able to open the pod for access while on the water."

Considering that there is 20 feet of transducer cable , I would just make up a longer power cable and wahla, I can open the mod pod and lay it on the side while I get my rod. Of course I wouldn't do this in three foot seas but, then again, I wouldn't be out in my yak in three foot seas!

Unlike some folks, I only take two rods out with me since I don't troll and can only use one at a time. I usually carry one spinner and one baitcaster so I can actually just leave them in the built in rod holders and only have to go into the pod for lunch.

John
              John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Working...
              X