1.5 or 3lb folding anchor for Severn River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.5 or 3lb folding anchor for Severn River

Can you guys tell me what anchor you are using in your yaks?

Many of the posts I have read recommend the folding anchor for a yak as it can be folded for transport and even deployed as a drag in the folding position.

Having never anchored in my Perception, the only experience I have in anchoring is with my boats. Obviously I don't want to carry one of those around.

Regards,

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

i think the 1.5 folding anchor will be adequate on the severn with possible exception for big wakes fr powerboats. i haven't tried anchoring in that situation exactly; and probly won't.

i have been anchoring in strong currents up to about 2mph and water from 12-25' with my 1.5# and 50' rode with almost all good results. i've taken to just using all my rode no matter what. this allows me to have the end of the line on my cleat with no loops to stick in the trolley in case i want to ditch the anchor in a hurry. i haven't actually ditched the anchor yet to test out the floating property.

a couple times, especially in the deeper waters/strong current and a shell bottom area, i slid away, but played around to find a set i could work with.

i got the anchoring pkg from west marine for $30 i think. it included hi-vis, floating 1/4" yellow line and a nice bag for stowage. it's a covered line and is comfortable in your hand but is subject to kinks. but with a little attention, i can deal with this.

i may pick up a 3 lb anchor for when i'm expecting wavy conditions, stronger current or some other difficulty. if i do, i would likely take to only carrying the 3#. i expect it would be overkill almost all of the time and always be extra weight for loading/unloading the yak. if you're well within comfort range on loading yak, might just go with 3# from the start.

Comment

This may help you.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ighlight=chain
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

"i think the 1.5 folding anchor will be adequate on the severn with possible exception for big wakes fr powerboats. i haven't tried anchoring in that situation exactly; and probly won't."

I know exactly what you mean about wakes. I was off Greenbury point in my boat one day and a Sea Ray, about 40+ feet, decided to come within 20 feet of me. I didn't think to get my camera out to record the incident as I was holding on for dear life. Since then, I don't fish anywhere near Annapolis on weekends.

John
        John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Thanks for the link Tufnik.

John
          John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

i use a 3lb and I like it
            Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
              i use a 3lb and I like it
              plus 1-
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

....... Just put a chain in front of it ......

Comment

a chain definitely improves the pull angle to anchor and helps hold bottom.

i'm using a hobie screw-in cleat at my trolley line. i can run anchor out to bow, or stern. then if i expect to try differnt nearby spots, i cleat the trolley line. when i change spots, i can pull anchor up but leave it dangle at bow, or stern and just drop straight down at my new spot. i think a chain would totally mess me up.

Comment

"when i change spots, i can pull anchor up but leave it dangle at bow, or stern and just drop straight down at my new spot. i think a chain would totally mess me up. "

I agree, the chain won't fit through your pulley block. However, you can attach maybe a foot of 1/2" chain and let it dangle. Since you have "peddle power", you can overcome the extra drag. If you have a rudder, all the better.

John
                    John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

The 3lb should be fine. I use a 5, 3 and 1.5. I use the 5lb, when I know I am going to be anchoring up, like when chumming. I carry the 3lb always, when not intending to anchor. I use the 1.5 when fishing on the upper Potomac. I use the small anchor on the Potomac due to just being able to drop it off easily. It holds fine in the rocks.

If you want to increase the holding ability of your 3lb anchor, put about three feet of chain between the anchor and the line. It will help to keep the flukes down.

Comment

Working...
                      X