Availability of Kayak Accessories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Availability of Kayak Accessories

I have noticed that many online vendors as well as some local shops have limited supplies of kayak equipment and accessories as well as new kayaks. The ability to walk into a shop and get exactly what you want or to order something without a backorder is uncertain at the moment. In Sept, my wonderfully lightweight Werner Ikelos carbon fiber paddle (8 years old) developed a problem with the ferrule (connector for the two paddle halves). I had very responsive customer support from Werner to diagnose the problem. They told me to ship the paddle to them (Washington state) for repair. I decided to wait until I was done trolling for the fall (I held the paddle together with a variety of Velcro strips -- a short term solution, but still a pain). I sent the paddle to Werner two weeks ago and expect to get it back before Christmas. I did not want to be without a decent paddle in the meantime and looked around for a good paddle on sale. The short answer is that I found nothing I wanted at a price I was willing to pay. I have a very basic, heavy aluminum-shafted paddle that is getting me around for the few weeks until the Ikelos returns.

Here is a second example. I am a big fan of NRS Chinook PFDs and have used them for many years. I am on my second PFD of the older Chinook style -- it is getting worn out. I began looking for a local shop where I could try on the new style of Chinook and some other alternate models. My local shop was out of decent PFDs in my size. After doing a lot of online research to learn about the new Chinook model, I decided to order one. In the past, I could always find a PFD in my preferred style and size that was on sale. Not so this time. I checked online several times this fall, and could not find any vendors that had the Chinook in stock in my preferred color. And all vendors were quoting the list retail price of $139. Last week I checked again with little hope of having success. To my surprise, I found a vendor in Michigan that not only had the Chinook in stock, but was offering a 20% discount and free shipping. I placed the order and received the PFD on Wed -- less than a week after I placed the order.

The point of this post is that there are major shortages of all sorts of things, including kayaking equipment, at this time. It does pay to be vigilant and keep checking both local and online vendors if you need or want something quickly. You may be surprised to find what you want and make arrangements to get it quickly.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

John, very well timed post. I'm currently in the process of updating rods and reels for the spring, in addition to doing a major overhaul/servicing of my Mirage drive. Securing the proprietary parts and preferred gear is going to be interesting. I'll update the group.
    Tight lines
    Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
    Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
    Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
    Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

I've been fortunate in this regard.

I've had fast service and no stock shortages in recent weeks from these suppliers:

J. Stockard Flyfishing -- https://www.jsflyfishing.com/ (Excellent source for fly tying supplies.)

Barlow's Tackle -- https://barlowstackle.com/ (Great site for lure and jig makers and fly tyers.)

Maxxon Outfitters -- https://maxxonoutfitters.com/ (High quality fly rods and reels at moderate prices. I met them at the Edison NJ Fly Fishing show a few years ago and have been a satisfied customer since.)

Tackle Warehouse -- https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/ (I order my preferred brand of paddletails and Owner hooks from them.)

Stockard is in Montana, Barlow's is in Texas, Maxxon is in Washington State and Tackle Warehouse is in California. Each sent purchased items to me within a week of my online order. Each, except Barlow's, has Black Friday sales underway.

I realize they're not specifically kayak accessory suppliers but we cannot fish from our kayaks without rods and reels and something on the ends of our lines to attract fish!
      Last edited by Mark; 11-26-2021, 08:36 AM.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Delaware Paddlesports has a mixed inventory of different brand kayak parts and accessories. Worth a try

Comment

My go to online store for kayak parts and accessories has been www.austinkayak.com Sometimes I'll go to Lancaster Marine, but the last time I was there, they were short on kayak supplies.
          2016 Old Town Predator 13 Urban Camo

Comment

I second the recommendation of Delaware Paddlesports in Lewes, DE. I got my Hobie Compass there, and they have the best selection of kayak accessories I've ever seen in one store. As for online stores, one off the wall option that has come through for me on some items that were out of stock seemingly everywhere else was WestCoastSailing.net. I'm guessing they get overlooked by kayakers because of the name.
            - Cliff

Hobie Compass
            Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Working...
            X