Minnow management in a small kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnow management in a small kayak

I begin using live minnows for pickerel once the water gets quite cold (typically mid to late December). Prior to that time, I catch plenty of pickerel on spinners or paddletails. But at some point, the artificial bite slows down. Many anglers lip hook a minnow and suspend it under a bobber. Undoubtedly, that technique works, but unless the angler is actively tending the rod, pickerel may swallow the hook and suffer the consequences. I prefer using a live minnow on a small jighead (bring hook through the lower lip then out the upper lip). Nearly every pickerel I catch using this method is hooked in the lip, making release quick and easy.

002_9.jpg

Cast the minnow out and work it slowly back to you, the same as if you were fishing a paddletail. I often cast for pickerel in shallow water. I choose a jighead weight and retrieval speed that is slow enough to look natural, but that keeps the minnow from contacting the slime on the bottom.

Once you decide to use minnows (and I recognize that some/many anglers don't like to do that), you need to find a system for storing the minnows while you are in the kayak. When I first began winter pickerel fishing about 15 years ago, I bought minnows and placed them in a large bait bucket. I would bring the bucket on my kayak, keeping it onboard while paddling and dropping it over the side (tethered with a short cord) when at my fishing location. This clearly worked, but in my 11' kayak, the bucket took up more space than I preferred. I work very hard to keep my cockpit area uncluttered, and the bucket did not work well.

Here is a system that I developed a few years later. It has worked beautifully for me, keeping minnows alive during the trip and minimizing clutter.

001_8.jpg

Just before launching, I transfer several dozen minnows from the bait bucket to an empty dry roasted peanut jar (or the equivalent) that has a water-tight screw-on lid. I place a plastic deli container in the cup holder in front of the seat and pour a few minnows from the jar into the container. I can grab a minnow easily while on the water, and can place the jar with the remaining minnows somewhere out of the way on the kayak.

2021-04-11-001.jpg

If I have really packed the jar with a lot of minnows, I can periodically drain it and add fresh water. But my experience has been that the minnows purchased at local shops are very hardy. They survive their time in the jar quite easily.

At the end of the trip, I place any leftover minnows back in my minnow bucket and freshen the water. I have found that these minnows do quite well with brackish water from our local tidal creeks or freshwater from ponds. I do not recommend using tap water if it contains any chlorine. The minnow bucket sits inside a larger bucket in my garage. If I am not going to use the minnows for several days, I typically drive to the nearest water access point, drain the bucket and add more water. During the cold months, I can keep minnows for several weeks in the bucket that way.
    Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Great system, and thanks for sharing! The local bull minnows, or mummichogs, that most of the local bait shops sell are extremely hardy. They can survive in waters with dissolved oxygen levels as low as 1 mg/l when most fish start dying when it dips below 3 mg/l. They can also breathe air directly from the surface, and can survive out of water for several hours so long as they don't dry out. This is about the only time of year that I break down, and buy bait for fishing, usually for the yellow perch run but I've considered trying minnows for pickerel.
    - Cliff

Hobie Compass
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Here is a real-world example of how hardy the minnows are. I bought a half-pint of minnows on Dec 29 and used some on Dec 30 and 31. At the end of the Dec 31 trip, I returned the unused minnows to my minnow bucket, filled it with Weems Creek water, and set the minnow bucket inside a 5-gal bucket. This stayed in my garage from Dec 31 until this afternoon. I realized that the cold weather for the next week would keep me off the water. At 1:45 this afternoon, I released all the remaining minnows into Weems Creek. Out of roughly 30 minnows remaining, only 1 had died.
      John Veil
      Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Why do you put the minnow bucket inside a 5 gallon bucket between trips?
        Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
        2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

My minnow bucket has drainage holes part way up on the sides and on the hinged lid. I place it inside a larger bucket to catch any water that sloshes out while driving.
          John Veil
          Annapolis

Comment

Last year while fishing in Virginia I ran across a Youtube Kayak fisher I know of from North Carolina. He was carrying some live bait in a towable container I had never seen before. Having tried to tow a Frabil I found it to be not such a pleasant experience but this one seemed to solve the problems I encountered. I plan on ordering one for this upcoming fishing season and I normally don't post about products before I have used them but since this topic has been posted here's what I plan on using.
            https://baitshark.com/

Comment

Mummichogs are very hardy, banded killifish are moderately hardy, and sheepshead minnows will die in minutes. I always just let any sheepshead minnows I catch go right away because they never survive.

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
              Here is a real-world example of how hardy the minnows are. I bought a half-pint of minnows on Dec 29 and used some on Dec 30 and 31. At the end of the Dec 31 trip, I returned the unused minnows to my minnow bucket, filled it with Weems Creek water, and set the minnow bucket inside a 5-gal bucket. This stayed in my garage from Dec 31 until this afternoon. I realized that the cold weather for the next week would keep me off the water. At 1:45 this afternoon, I released all the remaining minnows into Weems Creek. Out of roughly 30 minnows remaining, only 1 had died.
              My coworker stores mummichogs for months on end in an old, beat up 100qt igloo cooler without a lid filled with creek water. No aerator and he stores the cooler in the crawlspace under his house (unfinished crawlspace). He'll infrequently refresh the water with creek water and maybe toss in some bread or dry dog food to feed them once a month. Other than that, he does nothing else for them and keeps about 100 alive throughout the winter restocking them as he uses them up.
              Brian

Comment

Working...
              X