Simple modification to improve Hawg Trough storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple modification to improve Hawg Trough storage

I always carry a Hawg Trough measuring board in my kayak. Many of the newer kayak models have front hatches with bungee cords running across the cover. My 2021 Falcon has this setup, which I use to hold the trough.

2021-10-05-002.jpg

My older kayak, which I use most often, is a Manta Ray 11. It has a small rubber hatch cover, but no bungee cord. I store the trough behind the seat in the tank well. It fits there, but can be hard to get it out quickly when I am ready to measure a fish.

PXL_20220228_153819266.jpg

Last week, I made a simple modification to the hatch cover for the Manta Ray 11. I drilled holes on either side of the flange and passed a length of bungee through. I knotted off the bungee on the inside and how have a new place to store my trough that will be easier to grab when I need it. Plus it frees up some space in the tank well for those trips when I need to carry more gear.

PXL_20220228_153919000.MP.jpg

PXL_20220228_153846864.jpg

PXL_20220228_153932008.jpg

PXL_20220228_153735167.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

That's a good modification, John.

I actually wonder why Hawg Troughs are such popular accessories for kayak anglers given their awkward size and the difficulty in storing them onboard for easy access. And that's not to mention that their numbers fade in time requiring tedious touchups with a Sharpie.

I cannot reach mine if I store it up front in either of my two Ultimates 12s. My Ultimate FX version has bungies on the bow cover but if I put it there, it remains just beyond my reach it. So, I lay it on the floor of my Ultimates. I shove it to the bow so that it is out of my way. The key is that I have it tethered to my seat. That serves two purposes. I use the cord to retrieve it -- simply pulling it toward me when needed. And since the Hawg Trough sinks faster than the Dow Jones Industrial Average these days, the tether keeps it in my possession if it goes overboard.

On my Revo, due to my pedals, I keep it stored behind my seat to my left, within easy reach -- still tethered though.

I have owned two Hawg Troughs since I have been kayak fishing. I don't keep fish but for some I just like to know how big they are. (They are always larger in the water!) When my current Hawg Trough breaks, I am going to look for a folding alternative that is easier to store.

Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Hi John, I do something similar with my hog trough. It is in front of me between my feet and usually partly under a bungee on the front of the kayak. Twisting and fumbling around to get the hog trough from behind is too difficult for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        I actually wonder why Hawg Troughs are such popular accessories for kayak anglers given their awkward size and the difficulty in storing them onboard for easy access. And that's not to mention that their numbers fade in time requiring tedious touchups with a Sharpie.
        I like the modification too. Its amazing how a drill and a little bungie cord can work miracles!

I started with a hawg trough but ended up with a folding trough from Yak Gear. Much smaller footprint on the kayak (plus a little wider to keep those fish in place). Although you still have to deal with the sharpie number and line coloring. There are a couple sliding tabs that lock the board straight that seem a little fragile to me and Ive broken plenty of them. I actually managed to talk to the owner of YakGear and he said they are designed that way but he still sent me a handful for free in the mail.

Everyone has their go to gear, but its hard for me to not recommend something that comes with quality customer service.
        "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
        Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by nhunter344 View Post

I like the modification too. Its amazing how a drill and a little bungie cord can work miracles!

I started with a hawg trough but ended up with a folding trough from Yak Gear. Much smaller footprint on the kayak (plus a little wider to keep those fish in place). Although you still have to deal with the sharpie number and line coloring. There are a couple sliding tabs that lock the board straight that seem a little fragile to me and Ive broken plenty of them. I actually managed to talk to the owner of YakGear and he said they are designed that way but he still sent me a handful for free in the mail.

Everyone has their go to gear, but its hard for me to not recommend something that comes with quality customer service.
          I use the same folding Yak Gear trough. It folds up and fits under my Hobie seat. It does stick out forward a little bit, but that allows me to grab it from under my seat. I can also put a small tether on it and place it behind my seat. This trough also floats.
          MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
          2016 Hobie Outback LE
          Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
          https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Working...
          X