Lightning Kayaks - Any feedback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightning Kayaks - Any feedback?

I have a neighbor who is interested in kayak fishing. He likes the Hobie brand, but doesn't like the Hobie price.

Anyone on the forum have experience with the Lightning Kayak brand? Specifically he is looking at the Lightning Strike HD model. This is a pedal-powered kayak that seems to use a Hobie Mirage-style (Gen 1 - no reverse) pedal system, is about the same dimensions and weight as the Hobie Outback, and saves you more than $1K when compared to the Outback.

Here is the link: https://lightningkayaks.com/collecti...strike-hd-camo

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T
    Hobie Outfitter

I remember when these came on the market a few years ago. I have not heard of many people who use them, so I don't have any input on the kayak itself. I am not sure why they never gained more traction.

I'm surprised they are made in USA, usually these "alternative" brands that sell near-identical knockoffs of bigger brands import the boats from China, put their own brand on them, and sell them at a marked up cost.

I am also surprised that they don't advertise more heavily that they are made in USA. It is in the fine print all the way at the bottom of the website, and it is mentioned only once in the product manual. Usually companies that make their products in USA proudly tout it at every chance they get.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
      I remember when these came on the market a few years ago. I have not heard of many people who use them, so I don't have any input on the kayak itself. I am not sure why they never gained more traction.

I'm surprised they are made in USA, usually these "alternative" brands that sell near-identical knockoffs of bigger brands import the boats from China, put their own brand on them, and sell them at a marked up cost.

I am also surprised that they don't advertise more heavily that they are made in USA. It is in the fine print all the way at the bottom of the website, and it is mentioned only once in the product manual. Usually companies that make their products in USA proudly tout it at every chance they get.
      I'm surprised as well.

Interestingly, if you look at the "About Us" tab on their website it shows their senior company staff as having some legit kayak credentials. Along with touting the Made in the USA piece, if I were them, I would take advantage of the pedigree those company officers bring to the brand. That may just be the tipping point for a potential customer.
      Last edited by baitball; 03-29-2022, 03:45 PM.
      -manny

Hobie Outback
      Wilderness Systems 130T
      Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I won a Strike HD as a prize in the Fish n' Paddle Saltwater Slam tournament last summer. I didn't receive the kayak until this winter, and between work and family life, I've yet to have the chance to take it out on the water to test ride it. I have no experience at all with pedal kayaks, so I won't really know how it compares to a brand like Hobie though once I finally get out on it. I actually feel kinda weird having it since I've only ever owed paddle kayaks. Just from testing how it fits on my car for car topping, I can say it is a heck of a lot heavier then my Ocean Kayak Trident!

If I remember, I'll chime back in once I actually get the thing on the water.
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
          I won a Strike HD as a prize in the Fish n' Paddle Saltwater Slam tournament last summer. I didn't receive the kayak until this winter, and between work and family life, I've yet to have the chance to take it out on the water to test ride it. I have no experience at all with pedal kayaks, so I won't really know how it compares to a brand like Hobie though once I finally get out on it. I actually feel kinda weird having it since I've only ever owed paddle kayaks. Just from testing how it fits on my car for car topping, I can say it is a heck of a lot heavier then my Ocean Kayak Trident!

If I remember, I'll chime back in once I actually get the thing on the water.
          Thanks for that feedback, Bob.

Just curious, but did they ever say why it took so long to get the boat to you?
          -manny

Hobie Outback
          Wilderness Systems 130T
          Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Originally posted by baitball View Post

Just curious, but did they ever say why it took so long to get the boat to you?
            It sounded like somebody just dropped the ball when it came to coordinating somewhere between the tournament and company. I didn't really push the issue since it was a free kayak.
            Brian

Comment

baitball I've finally gotten out on the Strike twice now for a pair of short, early morning fishing trips in some relatively easy back bay waters. Having never sat in a Hobie before, I found the Strike to be very comfortable and spacious. It moves through the water fairly easy and turns adequately enough. It's super stable and I have no problems fishing from it standing up, as well as reaching around the kayak from a standing position. Everything seems solidly built and I enjoyed using it.

If I'm going to nitpick it, I'll say that I'm not a fan of the bow shape. I'm used to my Ocean Kayak Trident cutting through chop and waves, whereas the Strike seems to plow though that stuff with a lot more hull slap, splash, and water coming over the bow. I've only been out in moderate chop so far, so I need to take it out on a super choppy day still to see how it really does. The inside storage areas could be better, as well as the storage areas around the seat for lose tackle I'm using off and on, but I can still pack everything I need onto and in the kayak easily. Lastly, the regular fins that come on the Freedom Drive suck. I highly recommend buying and installing the XL masts from Lightning and then throwing some Hobie ST trubo fins on there. It made a huge difference in performance.

It's taken me a little figuring out for car topping it (I mentioned earlier it's heavy), but I think I have a system down now.

So far, I give it a thumbs up. Possibly even double thumbs up because I won it . The next step is to get it out into the inlet or ocean to see how it does in heavy current.
              Brian

Comment

Thanks for taking the time and providing that feedback, Slobber Bob .
                I’ll pass it along to my neighbor.
                -manny

Hobie Outback
                Wilderness Systems 130T
                Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Working...
                X