Locking Kayak to Roof Rack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking Kayak to Roof Rack?

Just curious if anyone has any experience with locking a kayak to a roof rack? I have a Native Falcon 11 and a Rhino Rack Roof that is locked into place when the car doors are shut. If I am leaving the kayak on the car for more than a day, I start to get uncomfortable. Any suggestions would be appreciated as always.

Running a thick cable or chain through the scupper hole and around the rack and locking it will be your best bet. You could even use 2 cables/locks if you want. If you go through a carry handle then all it takes is a phillips head screwdriver to remove the handle and the kayak is free.

Obviously even a locked chain around the roof rack can be defeated by a determined thief. All you can really hope to do is deter opportunistic theft. The more time and effort it would take to steal, the less likely it's going to happen.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

x2 on cable through the scupper hole and around your roof rack. I use something similar to the link below. I've also used a regular cable with loops on either end to use your own padlock. If there is no rain forecast, Ill crack my windows and run the cable around car's door post.

Master Lock 8413DPF Python Cable Lock with Key, 1 Pack - Bike Lock Snake - Amazon.comMaster Lock 8413DPF Python Cable Lock with Key, 1 Pack - Bike Lock Snake - Amazon.com

As dsaavedra mentioned, nothing will stop a determined thief.
      "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
      Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

I cannot believe I didn't think about the scupper holes...I am so grateful for this forum....thank you Dave and Nhunter :--)

Comment

kanulock locking tie downs can be another option
          Jay

2022 Hobie Lynx - Dune

Comment

We ran a cable lock through the scupper hole when we traveled out to Rapid City ND,,, BUT you have to get the cable lock with the "straight end" that goes into the lock on the "lock end".
            The ones with the heavy "Loop" will not fit through the scupper holes.
            Captian of the plastic Navy
            1 - Mad River Canoes
            1- Tarpon 120
            1- Redfish 10
            1- Coosa HD
            2- Cuda 12
            1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Working...
            X