Cartop Kayak Carrier suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cartop Kayak Carrier suggestions

I know this has been discussed a bunch in the past, but 1. the search function doesn't seem to go back more than a few months and 2. Thule/Yakima/etc are coming out with new products all the time.

I recently bought a Subaru Outback with the built in roof rack system. I'm keeping my other car which has a roof rack and Yakima Big Catch carrier on it. I'm very happy with the Big Catch and on that car (with a little more of an angled rear window) I can use a suction cup roller to slide my trident and revo on top. The Subaru is a little taller and has more of a vertical rear window, so I'm thinking something along the lines of a Yakima Showboat 66 to assist with rolling it up the back without damaging the car. Unfortunately, they seem out of stock everywhere and if I get another Big Catch, I'm looking at about a $500 investment... which isn't a deal breaker, but isn't ideal either. I saw the Malone Megawing with load assist (https://www.etrailer.com/Watersport-.../MPG113MD.html) and it seems to have similar function, though looking at the youtube videos and pictures of it, it doesn't seem as sturdy as the Yakima models. Without looking at the stats, I believe my trident and the revo are in the 65-80 pound range, so they are light enough for most kayak carriers on the market, but they're definitely on the heavier end of what the cheaper models say they can handle (a lot of them advise the max weight is 80lbs). A hullevator would be nice, but I'm not sure it would work with my factory roof rack and the price is pretty ridiculous. I'm relatively young and healthy, so its not so much the weight of lifting the boats, but rather the awkwardness of picking up at 14" foot kayak and not risking damaging the boat or my car.

Open to suggestions. Also open to being told to suck it up and put down the money on what I think makes sense so far (assuming I can find a Showboat someday). Thanks as always.
    Ocean Trident Ultra 4.3
    Hobie Revolution 13 Red Hibiscus

If you want some of the older style roller and saddles I have a few sets. I bought a truck 6 years ago and they are sitting somewhere in my shed… it’s not the same as the showboat that comes out so you don’t scratch your car. I’ve seen some folks use a mat (Yakima or tool makes it) that straps to the back cross bar so you can slide the kayak up on to the rack. That might work if you can find that. The other option would be to get one of the rack loader assist bars. Yakima has one for the round bars but I’m sure others exist. The idea is you set the front of the kayak on one of the load assist bars (extends out of your front bar and overhangs the side of your car and then you use that to either push the front over on to the car rack and set the back down or just lift the back then move the front. My sister has one and can do it with her tarpon 120 on her Subaru Outback. Seems to work well.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Another option in addition to Redfish's suggestion is the Rhino Rack T-Load hitch. My dad uses it to load a PA14 on a Honda CRV, which has a similar profile to the Subaru Outback. I see at least one on Craigslist (https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...502374588.html) for $200 in Gaithersburg, MD. They retail for $333 new.
      J

Comment

For my sons Xterra, I looked at many commercial roof top kayak carriers,, they all seamed "light weight",, not something I would trust travelling cross country with 2) 80# kayaks.
        I ended up welding up our own.

DSCN9292.jpg
        Captian of the plastic Navy
        1 - Mad River Canoes
        1- Tarpon 120
        1- Redfish 10
        1- Coosa HD
        2- Cuda 12
        1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Slackdaddy View Post
          For my sons Xterra, I looked at many commercial roof top kayak carriers,, they all seamed "light weight",, not something I would trust travelling cross country with 2) 80# kayaks.
          I ended up welding up our own.

DSCN9292.jpg
          That's a nice set-up and definitely looks durable.
          John B

Jackson Cuda 14 (Yellow Jacket)
          Hobie Outback (Papaya)
          Jackson Coosa (Forest Camo)

Comment

I have a perfectly good Rhino T-loader I'm willing to part with. The T-loader would keep you from having any weight on your back window as well as provide a rest for the stern of the kayak, though my expedition is long enough I didn't need to use it like that. IT also has the optional Lock for the T-loader. I bought a trailer so it's sitting in my storage shed. I also have Trailex launch dolly with an optional hitch coupler system I don't plan on using anymore... PM me if your interested. 20200707_092350.jpg
            Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 07-19-2022, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Not nearly as elegant, but I use an old area rug draped over where the kayak would come into contact with the car while loading it on top. I just slide it up the carpet until its on the racks. Only trick is to remember its on there before your driving down the road.
              "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
              Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by nhunter344 View Post
                Not nearly as elegant, but I use an old area rug draped over where the kayak would come into contact with the car while loading it on top. I just slide it up the carpet until its on the racks. Only trick is to remember its on there before your driving down the road.
                My wife drives an Outback and she does the same thing to get her kayak onto the roof rack by herself. The only difference is she uses a rubber bottomed bathroom floor mat so the mat doesn't slide on the car when she is sliding over the mat.
                Brian

Comment

The other night I managed to find a Yakima Showboat online and picked it up for cheap. I may add in the bathmat idea for added security. Just gotta figure out what I want for the actual kayak carrier portion and I'll let you all know how things work out (I'm sure fine). Then if I can ever get my puppy to behave long enough that I can actually take the kayak out...
                  Ocean Trident Ultra 4.3
                  Hobie Revolution 13 Red Hibiscus

Comment

Turtle,

I used a Showboat for years on my Sienna van -- two Sienna vans in fact.

It's a good device to help with loading your kayak. I still have mine on my Sienna as a backup carrier. I routinely use a pickup truck to carry my kayaks now.

You shouldn't need a bathmat for extra protection. The Showboat will extend far behind your vehicle. Furthermore, that length is adjustable.

In terms of additional hardware needed to secure you kayak, you shouldn't need any. The Showboat connects to your roof rack's crossbars.

I use foam blocks that snap in place on the crossbars to seve as a foundation for my kayaks. Then I strap the kayaks down to the roof rack.

For my Revo which has a rounded hull, I use two foam blocs like these centered on the crossbars:

IMG_3134.jpg

Note that the roller bar is retracted in the above photo. It extends well behind the roof of the van when necessary.

For my Ultimates, which are slightly wider and have a different hull shape, I use four foam blacks like these:

IMG_3125.jpg

The foam blocks are available at various online stores. They're secifically designated for use on canoes and kayaks.

Good luck,

Mark

Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                    X