Yakima Accessory... Need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yakima Accessory... Need help

I have a question about what accessory to use for my kayak. I hopefully will have a Yakima system this weekend for my truck thanks to jjfoley. I am truly getting this for long trips to NC/SC so I can still keep stuff in the bed of my truck covered from the elements. I have a 2009 F150 supercrew FX4, and do not have steps.

My question is what do you guys recommend I get for holding the kayak. I was leaning toward the hully roller with mako saddle. I just wanted to see what others thought. I also thought about the Landshark or hullraiser. Landkshark would be find, the hullraiser I am afraid I will not be able to lift my kayak that high without hurting myself.

Just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are.

Thanks,
    Keith
    Keith
    2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

i've been using the thule glide and set for 6 years and its still working great. my yak slides on the felt rear pads and holds fast on the rubber front pads, just need to get the front end up and it slides forward easily

Comment

I've used the Hullraiser for years. In fact, 2 in order to carry 2 kayaks at times the missus comes along. So far, no problem lifting my Revo or Cobra. As I get older I know I'll need some help. Yakima makes an assist bar to help with loading:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Yakima-BoatLoader-Canoe-Loading-System/dp/B000MB2KIW/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1335529225&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Yakima BoatLoader: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41RC9483%2BhL.@@AMEPARAM@@41RC9483%2BhL[/ame]

If you have something really heavy like a Pro Angler you might want to consider another method.

Comment

I have the same setup as Surf with the addition of a outrigger II extension bar. This allow me to put the front of the Kayak on the extension bar and slide it right up on the roof racks from the side of my SUV.

Since you have a pickup truck you should be able to throw a bathroom mat over the gate, Prop the front of the kayak onto the mat and use it as a pivot point to guide the kayak up onto the roof rack

Comment

thanks guys, I think I am going to do JJ's idea and get that support bar to help lift it up and get the hullraisers or landsharks.

I normally will just throw it in the back of the truck and roll, but for long distance runs I want to have it here to use the bed for storage for all the family stuff I have to take.
          Keith
          2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

........ is there a reason why you don't want to use the bed of the truck? ...... I just use a hitch extender ........ it's quick easy and less expensive ......... if you want the roof rack type ...... I have a set of Hully rollers and saddles I can sell ya ........

Comment

As I stated Memory, I need the bed for the family gear when on vacation.

PM me a price on the saddles and I will let you know.

Thanks
              Keith
              2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Working...
              X