seat cushions for kayaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seat cushions for kayaks

Fishing kayaks come with a wide range of standard seats that offer different types of adjustments and comfort. For those of us with bad backs and legs, seat comfort is a highly important feature of any kayak. My first kayak (2001) was an Ocean Kayak Drifter that came with an unpadded snap in seat and minimal padding. In addition to offering a wet ride, that kayak was quite uncomfortable, with a time to butt fatigue of only about an hour. I tried sliding a thick boat throw cushion under the seat (blue cushion in the second photo), but found that pad to be uncomfortable.

011.jpg

2008-02-03 002.jpg

After fishing with a guide and using a Native Manta Ray kayak, I was amazed at how much more comfortable that seat was. I bought a Manta Ray 14 in 2008 for my own use. It came with an angled, padded wedge seat and tall seat back. To this day, the Manta Ray seat is the most comfortable kayak seat I have ever used. I use my Manta Ray 11 on more than 80% of my trips.

002-snow.jpg

All the later pedal drive and paddle kayaks I bought from Native came with a raised frame seat (like a small lawn chair). Quite a few of the newer kayaks offer that type of seating. Here is an example from a Slayer Propel 13 that I bought in 2013.

013.jpg

Over the years, my spinal issues grew worse, such that I could not stay in the standard kayak seats for very long. I looked around for cushions that could be placed on top of the standard seats to improve butt comfort. The first ones I bought were Skwoosh pads. They were fairly thin with gel-filled cells that provided some cushioning. The Skwoosh pads folded down the middle and were small enough that I took them on many plane flights. These were an improvement over just the bare seat. Over time, the gel cells tended to shift a bit, leaving some unpadded areas.

Next I purchased a gel pad made specifically for kayaks called Yakpads. It was better than the bare seat, but offered less cushioning for my body than the Skwoosh.

Somewhat out of desperation, I tried different types of heavily padded cushions I had around the house. The photo shows a seat/back combo pad that was meant for a boat. It was cumbersome on my kayak and was tried only once.

002_3.jpg

I kept looking for other options. A few years ago, I was in Sams Club in the office furniture aisle. I spotted a gel honeycomb pad meant for office chairs. Sams had a low price on the pad so I bought one. I was really pleased as this Wondergel cushion was by far the most comfortable cushion I had tried. It could get wet with no problems and had a black fabric cover. I ended up buying several and sharing them with guides in FL and TX who thought they were a real improvement. The shape of that Wondergel fit perfectly on the Manta Ray 11 seat.

wondergel 2.jpg

minnow cup 2.jpg

A few years later, I bought a kayak with a raised seat. The trapezoidal shape of the Wondergel did not fit well on the raised seat. I returned to Sams and found that they carried a square pad of similar material made by Purple. I bought one of those and find it to work as well as the Wondergel pad.

purple 2.jpg

These days, I used the old Wondergel on my Manta Ray 11. On my Falcon 11 kayak with a raised seat, I use both the Purple and Wondergel pads (one on top of the other) to increase my comfort and extend the time to butt fatigue.

I hope others will chime in with how they deal with seat comfort.

John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

I use a foam cushion from amazon similar in design to the one in this picture. I had a tailbone injury and this cushion really helps manage that, but also with overall comfort. I get way less monkey butt since I started using it. I also found that I am more comfortable peddling my Hobie without the foot straps - one kept popping off so I just took it off - and that's how I discovered they really don't seem to serve a purpose. Without the plastic foot straps, I have more options to move/adjust the position of my feet and that seems to help with any pins and needles or mild numbing up I used to feel on a long day. I am not sure how well the cushion will hold up over time because it's meant for an indoor office chair.

Attached Files
    Nick
    2021 Hobie Outback

Comment

I don’t use a cushion and find the stock mesh seat on my Hobie Lynx to be very comfortable. I’m good for about 3 or 4 hours then I have to hit dry land and stretch and walk a little then I’m good for another 3 or 4 hours.

Comment

My first Revo had a seat that rested on the floor of the kayak. It was padded and very comfortable. Plus the low center of gravity with the seat on the floor enhanced the kayak's stability. However, I didn't like it when water sloshed over the gunwales. "Wet Butt" was not an issue in summer, but spring and fall outings could get a little chilly. Dry pants in winter did their job, but cold is cold, wet or dry. It's much better to have a dry seat.

The raised lawn chair style seat on my current Revo has lumbar support and infinite chairback settings. It's really nice.

The lawnchair style seats on my Ultimates are not as fancy as my Revo's seat but very functional and I find no need for added cushioning.

My Revo and my Ultimate FX offer raised seating positions. I never use them in that setting because raising the seat will compromise stability in rougher water contitions.

The issue I have with kayak seating is not comfort during outings. But getting out of my seat after a lengthy outing has become more difficult as I age. I liken it to a butterfly unfolding from a caccoon. It takes me a while...It would be easier to exit if I raised my seats, but I'm not willing to compromise stability.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

What I am hearing so far in the replies is that those of us who do not have spinal, butt, or leg issues are generally happy with the standard seating on many of the kayaks manufactured by the leading kayak companies. Those of us who do have that type of pain and comfort issues like some type of pad or cushion -- and there are various cushion options available. I'm pleased that the manufacturers have worked hard to improve the comfort of their seats. Of course, those advanced seats with adjustments will cost more to make, and add to the price of those higher end kayaks.
          John Veil
          Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by gshappell
            Not sure how there can be a post without mentioning Kayak Kushion. But they have a great product and support the sport with giveaways in kayak trails and clubs. I use one for the bottom and another for the back. Super comfortable and doesn't get hot like some other cushions.
            I absolutely love my Kayak Kushion. I was having lower back pain after long days in my Hobie Compass, and that completely went away after getting my Kayak Kushion. I haven't gotten a second one for the back yet, but I'm considering it.
            - Cliff

Hobie Compass
            Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Man, yall have me considering a cushion now. I've never found my Outback seat terribly uncomfortable though it was an adjustment from my Native seat... it took me a while to get used to it and for a while I preferred the Native seat. Now that I'm fully accustomed to it I can spend all day in the Outback if I take a few stretch breaks. I have a couple herniated discs in my lumbar spine and have issues with sciatica as a result, and I'm wondering if I'm missing out on extra comfort.

The Outback seat has separate height adjustment for the front and rear. I keep the front in the highest position and I keep the rear in the middle position. I like the slightly reclined position this puts me in but I have always wished it was an inch or two higher overall. Does the Kayak Kushion, or similar, add any appreciable height?
              Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
              2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
                Man, yall have me considering a cushion now. I've never found my Outback seat terribly uncomfortable though it was an adjustment from my Native seat... it took me a while to get used to it and for a while I preferred the Native seat. Now that I'm fully accustomed to it I can spend all day in the Outback if I take a few stretch breaks. I have a couple herniated discs in my lumbar spine and have issues with sciatica as a result, and I'm wondering if I'm missing out on extra comfort.

The Outback seat has separate height adjustment for the front and rear. I keep the front in the highest position and I keep the rear in the middle position. I like the slightly reclined position this puts me in but I have always wished it was an inch or two higher overall. Does the Kayak Kushion, or similar, add any appreciable height?
                Dave - any of the cushions will add a bit of height. Because they squoosh down somewhat when you sit on them, the added height of the pads I use is not the full thickness of the pad. I have never tried a Kayak Kushion. I reviewed their website today, the cushioning material appears to be a dense foam rather than a gel grid. I have no information about how much it compresses. As you are considerably less heavy than me, your degree of compression may be less.
                Last edited by J.A. Veil; 10-05-2022, 09:34 AM.
                John Veil
                Annapolis

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post

The Kayak Kushion adds a little height, but not more than an inch at most. It created a noticeable improvement in my all day comfort level using my Compass. The are not cheap at around $40, but I think they are the best made cushion on the market for the kayak angler. They are very breathable, quick to dry when wet, and do not easily get musty like some cushions will.
                  - Cliff

Hobie Compass
                  Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

One of the main selling points of my VIBE Seaghost 130 was their HERO 2 seat - similar too a folding stadium seat. Not too many kayaks had a seat of this type back when I purchased mine. It was comfortable when I tried it out, but like most of us on here, I felt the need to tweak it a bit with additional cushioning. At first I tried the old square throwable life preserver seat cushions but they proved to be too big. Then, while at work one day, I found my solution. I work in the HVAC/MECHANICAL Construction field and I found a 25" square scrap piece of 1.5" thick Armorflex insulation. If you are not familiar with this product, it is the black rubbery foam insulation that most have on their home AC refrigerant lines. It is very resilient, waterproof and does not have any type of memory from sitting on it for long periods of time. Best of all IT WAS FREE! Whenever I find any pieces lying around, I always pick them up and have given them to others that have kayaks and want a little extra cushion. I for one can attest, a good comfortable seat adds to the fishing experience and also adds to the time spent on the water as well.

TIGHT LINES!!
                    PASADENA
                    2018 VIBE SEA GHOST 130- TEAM ORANGE

INSTAGRAM - @duff_dynasty1

Comment

Kayak Kushion has a 25% off sale going on. Kushion Kompany
                      2016 Old Town Predator 13 Urban Camo

Comment

Working...
                      X