UV protection clothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UV protection clothing

Good morning all. I have a few old UV shirts. Does anyone know how long the protection lasts over time? Is it based on how many times it’s been washed?

Any favorite brands you would recommend?

Laura
    Laura (aka zeebyrd)
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

Laura,

I was fishing two weeks ago in the Everglades.

I wore UV fishing clothing from Bass Pro. My outifts were several years old and had been washed many times. I air dry them as opposed to putting them in a dryer. Perhaps that has prolonged their life.

IMG_2705A.jpg

IMG_2708A.jpg

I did not get burned in the slightest and it was hot and sunny there.

Mark
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

As far as I know the UV protection comes from the clothing acting as a physical barrier. There's no treatment or anything that would wash out.
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Laura,

This may help:

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...rotection.html

My clothing brand is Columbia. I have been very satsified with it. I wear long sleeves and long pants. It's lightweight, loose fitting and the shirts are vented.

I also use sunscreen on my exposed skin. However, when I was in the FL Keys in April I forgot to apply it to the backs of my hands and they got burned.

I did not make that mistake in the Everglades.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thank you for the information. I think it was the bug repellant clothes that lose their protection over time. Off anyone knows otherwise I’d be interested.

i have a few UV protection shirts both short and long sleeves. In addition to kayaking I will be wearing them while mowing my lawn. I seem to now tan without burning (I have a sister that does that too and was confirmed by a dermatologist.)

I have a tan just from mowing the lawn. I supposed being higher in elevation. The sun rays are a little stronger. But regardless I want to protect my skin.
          Laura (aka zeebyrd)
          Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Working...
          X