Storage of Paddletails n jig heads after use in tidal waters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage of Paddletails n jig heads after use in tidal waters

I am looking for a solution to how to know the weight of jig heads once there is a paddletail attached. Normally, after I use paddletails in tidal water, I rinse the jig head and paddletail in fresh water and then store them back in their original packaging or in a plano....i always keep zman separate from other plastics.

My dilemma is that once I have a paddletail on a jig head it is hard for me to tell the difference between a 1/8 oz jig head, a 3/16 oz and a 1/4 oz. I do not normally take a paddletail off of a jig head after fishing if it is still in good condition...so the next time I fish I cannot always discern which size each jig head is.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you

Get a small electronic scale (they are cheap) and weigh a couple with various known weights and plastics and keep them in a box and label them. That's what I do.

Comment

I have two different styles of jigheads in my box, and within each style, I carry 3 different weights. So it's easy to tell them apart for me... Style A, small = 1/8, Style A, medium = 1/4, Style A, large = 3/8. Style B, small = 1/8, Style B, medium = 1/4, Style B, large = 1/2.

If you carry more than 3 different weights or there are not noticeable differences in size between the different weights, I could see that being a challenge. For example, I have all my tungsten bullet weights for bass fishing thrown in the same compartment and I couldn't tell you what a single one of them weighs... I just pick one out based on what feels right for the current situation.

I think Hobiewanknowb's suggestion of taking some time to weigh and organize them, then storing in separate labeled containers is a good logical solution.
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Get some fingernail polish and mark each weight a different color, that way you always know blue = 1/4oz, red = 1/8oz, etc.

I'd also like to note that I used to have a similar dilemma and had a fairly large amount of jigheads of unknown weight. I bought a digital scale off Amazon to sort them. I dont think any of them weighed what they should. ie identical size/shaped jig heads weighing substantially different amounts. and none of them weighed an exact 1/2oz, 1/4oz, etc. So I gave up on that and switched to dsaavedra's tactic of using what 'feels' right.
        Last edited by nhunter344; 06-06-2023, 11:37 AM.
        "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
        Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Rob,

I also have jigs with paddletails and twister tails still attached.

I pour my own jigs with several molds that create different head shapes. Also, some jigs use lightweight hooks and some use heavier hooks. I doubt that the weight of the hook is accounted for in the weight indicated on the jig mold. I have never weighed any of the finished jigs but I would bet that no jig weighs what the mold says.

I can tell the difference in the stated weights by the comparative size and shape of the jig head and the guage and gap size of the hook. And then I pick the jig based on the application. That is: where do I want the jig to end up when I cast and retrieve it (deep water or shallow, close to me or far away); what rod I am using (ultralight, light or medium); or how deep do I want it to drop if I troll it. Of course, the fish species am I targeting is also a factor.

The good news is that the fish themselves are often forgiving. If I choose the wrong jig weight, I may still get bites. So there is one more thing I do...

I sharpen the hook before I tie it to my leader. Even new hooks will oxidize in storage. But that is especially true for one that has been exposed to water and air. It pays to hit it with a file before sending it back into action. Then even if I guess wrong on the size of the jig, I have a better chance of sticking the fish.

Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I like the nail polish idea, but it seems like the concensus is that jig heads may not weigh what the packaging indicates they should. The idea of having a small scale around and organizing by weight sounds good too.

Mark...ever since I capsized last Fall, i have been sharpening hooks prior to use as almost all of my tackle took on at least some salt water and a fair amount of rust/oxidation occurred.

Again, thank you everyone

Comment

Mark each rigged paddle tail with a sharpie. A very small 1/8 etc will not make any difference to the fish and everyone will instantly know the weight.

Comment

Nice...I like that as well, Memory Maker...thank you. I have a large selection of colored sharpies from last year's paddletail decorating party that I had after receiving a huge batch of 12 fathom paddletails

Comment

Working...
                X