Crack in my Revolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crack in my Revolution

I just started using my 2014 Revolution again for the first time in several years. When i went to put it in to Rocky Gorge today I noticed a huge crack in the seat well. Can this be repaired and if so, how? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Carpe Pisces

Kayak and Canoe Repair Kit (polyvance.com)

Comment

Thanks
      Carpe Pisces

Comment

I second the method Oldbayrunner shared. Plastic welding is the way to go for kayak repair, and a crack that size would benefit from metal mesh reinforcement.
        Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
        2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Thanks. I've got everything I need (I think) and am going to try to do it tomorrow. Wish me luck!
          Carpe Pisces

Comment

Plastic welding, -specifically Nitrogen shielded plastic welding supported with hot staples (stainless steel wire in a zig-zag pattern melted by special tool into the base plastic across the crack for mechanical support). The shielded gas plastic welder eliminates the black carbon you get from flame or flat iron making it as strong or stronger that before the crack. Carbon formation indicates a change in material state that tends to be brittle and weaker. The plastic welding rod is melted with hot air/nitrogen and rolled into the vee'ed out crack. An expert can use hot air without the nitrogen shielding gas and get the same results, but the hobbyist probably can't. The industry also makes wide flat rods for plastic welding to help lay down weld over a wider area. If you are lucky enough to know someone in a skilled body shop, they probably have the tools and techniques to give you the best results. Insurance companies are making them repair bumper covers instead of replacing and they've had to figure out how to do it properly and warrantable. I doubt you will be able to reinforce behind the crack in that location so you might discuss with a repairer option of reinforcing over top of crack to better support that weak area in Hobie's design. If I were to buy a used kayak that had structural repairs performed, I would not hesitate to negotiate a good price for one nitrogen plastic welded by a pro. I (speaking for myself) wouldn't touch one that was glued. Aesthetically, nothing that you do will hide the fact your kayak has been repaired but it's good to know that it can be structurally repaired. The difference is one technique bonds by adhesion and the other by fusion. There is plenty of good information on the Interweb if you would like to see the different repair options in practice.

Comment

Working...
            X