Trolling motor for Hobie mirage drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling motor for Hobie mirage drives

I recently acquired a PA14 from another snaggedliner. I sold my bass boat and picked up a double Decker kayak trailer. I plan to add a trolling motor to the PA, but wanted to test the set up put on my older outback. Lots of YouTube tutorials on getting it built. I'm in for about $100....50 for the older trolling, 40 for the cassette block and 7 for the hose clamp set. I will pick up a lifepo4 battery shortly. It should store in the front hatch, or bungee to the top of the outback. I didn't want to do the bow mounts because of the extra mounting plate and full size trolling motor rig. I also didn't want it mounted to one side of the kayak, and smaller jet style motors that could mount to the rudder were pricey as well...I have a brand new watersnake trolling motor for the PA14 to build similar to this. I haven't committed to building it, until I test drive the outback. IMG_20240722_212346_522.jpg
    Hobie Outback
    Stand Up Paddle Board
    Pelican 100

Nice. I thought about doing something like this, but the trolling motor I have is way too big (and frankly too nice to hack down the shaft) and I have not been motivated to find a smaller one. Curious what lb thrust that motor is?
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Motorguide T34....I was too hasty...it won't fit through the hull...grrr...but the watersnake 24 will, easily. I will dismantle it tomorrow morning when it is cooler in the garage and mod the watersnake. I wasn't even thinking about the diameter of the motor through the pedal drive. Oh well... It is easy at this point, to take the motor apart....3 screws and disconnect the electrical wires.
      Hobie Outback
      Stand Up Paddle Board
      Pelican 100

Comment

Watersnake 24 is a much easier fit. A lot lighter too. I have the battery in the cart, and the power ports are here. I want to have the battery on hand to decide where to place it, which will also dictate the power port location.

IMG_20240724_120516_934~2.jpg IMG_20240724_120628_375.jpg IMG_20240724_120740_596.jpg IMG_20240724_120637_602.jpg
        Hobie Outback
        Stand Up Paddle Board
        Pelican 100

Comment

Nice, I assume this motor is fixed in the forward facing position and you steer with the OEM rudder?
          Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

It isn't fixed, it can be turned...but more than likely I will just use the rudder...two hose clamps, above and below keep it secured at the height in the cassette block....it can be turned if needed.
            Hobie Outback
            Stand Up Paddle Board
            Pelican 100

Comment

Curious about the speed in low and high setting

Comment

Hope to test it out this week...weather and job permitting. I have 100ah battery (21lbs) and the power ports all wired up with 8 gauge wire. The silicone is still setting. IMG_20240816_140224_366.jpg IMG_20240816_140216_171.jpg IMG_20240816_140233_497.jpg
                Yes, my kayak is pretty dirty...the pictures really show the neglect. But that grudge was earned.

https://youtube.com/shorts/d-sz3ZCD4...ZKLIIcpdICs-5A

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload
                Hobie Outback
                Stand Up Paddle Board
                Pelican 100

Comment

Seems to work very well. Was able to foot steer it while I had a snack...bonus. I still like to keep the paddle hand when working the banks, especially when it is breezy. It's easier to make adjustments to keep myself lined up for casting. I still love the pedals, but I can convert to the electric to get home when I'm tired...or just be lazy all day.

Hobie Outback
                  Stand Up Paddle Board
                  Pelican 100

Comment

Nice, looks like it works well. That "foot steering" is pretty funny. Do you notice a difference in maneuverability when steering by turning the trolling motor vs. keeping the trolling motor straight and steering with the rudder?
                    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

There is a noticeable difference when using both . Just a little motor input, with the ridder and the turns are sharper...but too much motor, you lose forward momentum because it is pushing the yak at an angle....it came in handy when casting to the banks...rather than travel in a linear motion, forward or back...I could pulse the motor and move at an angle, allowing me to make more casts without leaving the "zone" Faster than using the paddle or pedals...just a quick blip.
                      Hobie Outback
                      Stand Up Paddle Board
                      Pelican 100

Comment

Working...
                      X