Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essentials for May M&G?

Hello,

I'm hoping to attend the May M&G with my Tsunami touring yak outfitted with a Johnny bar. Can someone pass me a list of essentials that I'll need including perch tackle? I haven't been fishing in a while... Here is a starter list - any additions/modifications are welcome. This will be my first time yak fishing - looking forward to learning from the group!

-kayak with Johnny bar
    -bailout pump
    -rod holder
    -spinning rod
    -small tackle box including two-hook bottom rigs, pyramid weights, pliers, clippers, knife
    -landing net
    -cooler bag for bait and catch
    -bait (is squid strips good or do you prefer something else when fishing perch?)

Patrick

Grass Shrimp and bloodworms work great for perch.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

bloodworms or artificial lure should do just fine.

Comment

I like 1-3" gulp alive minnows on small road runner jigheads for perch. Flip them under piers and along rip rap and you should get your fill. If you preferr bottom fishing for them, a standard top and bottom rig with bloodworms or fishbites blood worms or minnows should do the trick. You probably dont need a net, if you like to save space, but bring it if you like.

Im not too familiar with the Johnny Bar, but a quick google search leads me to believe this is for mounting accessories on, looks like a nice addition.

If you have the space available, you may want to bring an extra rod to use for casting lures for Striper.
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I'm bringing a casting rod and an ultralight spinning rod.

For the perch, Gulp bloodworms, sandworms, or regular bloodworms work well. Nightcrawlers work well too. Smaller (1/16, 1/8, and 3/16 oz) Roostertail spinnerbaits in florescent yellow and pink have been working very well for the past couple of years (you can get these at Anglers). I have also caught WP there on 4 3/4" Texas rigged Gulp shakey worms (I got bored one day and wanted to see if it would work), crankbaits, rattletraps, shad darts, and jigheads with 3" Gulp squid.

Standard hi-lo (bottom) rigs or perch rigs are the usual choices but i have found that a drop shot rig is better in the shallows. Jigheads and bucktails with gulp swim mullet or BKDs work well around the jetties for Stripers

There might also be some Croakers around. It is probably a bit early for rays/skates but they are all over during the summer. I haven't heard anything good about crabbing there yet this year but it might be worth a shot to drop a few collapsible traps to see if they are around.

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

Thanks for the info! I'll pick up an assortment based on your recommendations. What size hooks do your recommend for WP?

Also, will I need an anchor if I intend on running a bottom rig?

Thanks,
            Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
              Thanks for the info! I'll pick up an assortment based on your recommendations. What size hooks do your recommend for WP?

Thanks,
              Patrick
              For at least the last ten years, I have used small, thin-wire circle hooks on my bottom rigs for perch, spot, and croaker. I get a standard wire bottom rig (I like the slightly larger black ones, but the regular silver ones are fine too) and add snelled hooks with a spinner blade. The ones I use are Bear Paw FNCH 4 or 2, but the other hook manufacturers have comparable ones. The circle part of those hooks is smaller than a dime. I add a 1-oz or 2-oz sinker on the bottom, depending on depth and current. I store them in small zip-lock or slide-lock bags and push both hook points into a wine cork.

When I am bottom fishing, I can put one or two rods in rod holders and drift. I catch plenty of fish drifting -- some other anglers prefer to anchor. That is personal choice. With circle hooks, you should not set the hook. If you are holding the rod, just wind up the slack and the fish will get hooked. With untended rods in the rod holders, the fish hook themselves, and the rods start bouncing. The circle hooks tend to catch in the corner of the fish's mouth with very few gut hook cases.

I have a friend in Chesapeake Beach who fishes off a seawall and catches loads of perch during the summer by drifting live grass shrimp (he sweeps them up with a fine mesh net off of some pilings) under a bobber. He attaches a small J-hook to the end of the line and pinches a small lead weight just above the hook.

You can also fish artificial lures for perch. Cast them out and move them slowly across the bottom.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick View Post

Thanks,
                Patrick
                For hooks, I usually use 2's or 4's on the hi-lo or drop-shot.

I carry a small 3lb grapple anchor but I rarely use it as I like drifting through there. The anchor is nice when the wind or current are really moving though. The bottom is mostly sandy but there are a couple of nice oyster beds that the perch like to frequent. Snags are rare, even when drifting. There are a couple of wrecks in or near Herring Bay listed on the chart, you would want to use an anchor for if you are going to fish them. I have never been able to locate the wrecks though (no GPS on my yak).

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the great posts and tips! Looks like I'll be swinging by BPS this week!

Patrick

Comment

i use the same type of t/b rig as JA but use the type of sinker that has a tear drop shape and swivel i fine they dont hang up as much in snags when drifting. i usuallly dont use hooks smaller than 2/0 circles, bear paw as john said are good choice

Comment

Working...
                    X