No announcement yet.

Sharing my first custom rod build and an invitation to share your creativity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing my first custom rod build and an invitation to share your creativity

Thought I'd share this with you guys and hopefully promote an interst in rod building and sharing your creations on MKF.

I got interested in rod building a couple of years ago but didn't fully commit until last fall. I can't tell you how many times I filled a shopping cart with goodies, only to dump it all in the cosmic waistbin right before the final transaction.

For a long time I was one big rod building sponge. I cruised the forums, read articles, consulted catalogs, and absorbed all the info I could with out actually getting my hands on any rodbuilding supplies. You can find some impressive stuff on the big time rod building and fishing forums and organizations, but it can get awfully impersonal. I'd like to see what some of you local guys have done, are working on, or are planning on working on.

Here are some pics of my first custom built fishing rod. I worked on this build through the late fall and early winter of last year. This is not a kayak fishing rod. I designed this rod as a partyboat bottom fishing rod, specifically a Tautog rod that can handle 8-12 oz of lead.

Blank is a Seeker Hercules Inshore Lite GTS70L (formerly INS70L) extended to 7'6". Fuji reel seat and Amtac Virtus Light guides.

If I remember my SOL posts correctly, I do believe mmanolis was inquiring about and eventually used this blank in a kayak specific build. It is a very versatile blank and maybe he can chime in with his thoughts.

I enjoyed this project a lot. There's just something deeply satifying about building your own rod and being that in touch with the tool that you are using. Not to mention that it's proven its worth as a fish catching machine and has boated a good number of tog, cod, seabass, dog sharks, and one big, ugly konger eel. The rod has plenty of imperfections, but I can look at it and say "Yeah, I built that, and I can catch fish with it." I'm happy, but I am already looking forward to my next build. This is just the tip, as they say, of one very big iceberg. Lots of possibilities.

I encourage you to comment, ask questions, and post pics of past, current, an future rod building projects. I'd love to see what you guys are working on.

Thanks for looking, John
    Attached Files

I can’t believe I missed this thread. Very nice job on the rod she is a beauty. I love the blank color. What did you use to extend the handle?

I can backup this blank it is a winner. I built a kayak stick out of the same blank last spring and it feels great. Lots of power and it is a fairly light weight blank. I built mine with winter pigs at kipto in mind but it serves well for other duties like party boat bottom fishing. I have not hung anything over 8 oz on it during the layout and testing process but I don’t see why 12 oz would cause an issue. Great tog rod.

Here are couple pics of the rod before slapping the finish on it.

Comment

Nice work gentlemen!! Building a rod and catching a fish on it is definitely on my bucket list!!!

Comment

Hey ........ you did a great job .........I didn'r see any defects

Comment

My wife is going to hunt you down like a dog if you get me involved in another hobby!!!!! This looks way cool and fun.

Comment

That's a sweet build! I'm like you... I've been clearing my cart for a few months now... smh. I am gonna try my darndest to get one done this Winter!

Comment

Very nice!
              Hobie Outback
              WS Tarpon
              IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

The extension is an old piece of rod blank from my true first attempt at building a rod. It was a gator glass blank and I tried to cut corners with the build, buying cheap, etc. I ended up only gluing the handle on it before sending it off to some dark and dusty corner. When it came time to really commit to the Inshore Lite, I dug that old blank out and cut an 8 in section out of it, so that it fit snugly with about 4 inches inside the butt and 4 inches out, giving me a final length of 7'6" on the blank. I epoxied the extension in place and filled in the gap where the pieces overlapped with more epoxy (u-40 rod bond, which is a thick paste). I then wrapped the end of the inshore lite blank with thread to give it some extra support and prevent any split outs. After that, everything gets covered up with your choice of handle material. So far it's held up well.

Glad this thread has seen some life. I'd almost forgotten about it.

BTW, mmanolis, your thread art looks great! Someday, someday...

Comment

You did great job on this build. Is this your first full build? The choice of colors for the trim bands and guide wraps match the blank perfectly. You should be very proud of your work and the fish you slay with this beauty.

I almost ordered a couple of those gator blanks that were on sale at Mudhole. How heavy were those suckers? Are they comparable to heavy ugly sticks? I have a friend that cant fish a rod i built him without breaking something on it. He managed to rip the top three running guides off the blank on a cast without breaking the blank or tip of the rod. Don't ask me how he accomplished this but i was there to see the aftermath. I might wrap one of those gator glass blanks for him next.

Comment

Yeah this was my first real build. I like the color of the blank a lot, but boy is it flashy. I tell you what, if you build a rod on a hot rod red blank, you best know how to catch fish with it, because that thing is going to attract some attention.

The gator blanks are heavy and tough, just like the ugly sticks. The finish on the blanks is similar as well. The blank that I had was classed as a live bait blank, so it had a fast tip and an action that you won't find in most ugly sticks. If you wanted to build a real beater of a rod, the gator glass rods would be a good place to start.

Comment

wow, amazing job to the both of you. ive filled a cart myself with rod building equip only to tell myself to wait until tomorrow, too may times to count. must feel great to catch a fish on a rod you built.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X