Drift Sock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drift Sock

When I was fishing the bridge this past weekend, I felt like I was moving really fast. I thought a drift sock would really help and I know they sell them. Does anyone use one of these, and how well do they work for the yak?
    Also, do you need to setup a anchor pulley system for it?
    Keith
    2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Originally posted by yakersaltlife View Post
    When I was fishing the bridge this past weekend, I felt like I was moving really fast. I thought a drift sock would really help and I know they sell them. Does anyone use one of these, and how well do they work for the yak?
    Yes, yes and yes....I use the one I bought From Austin Canoe and Kayak...26 inches- it comes complete- just add a small float- easy to use, works fine- slows down your drift a lot, especially in winds, not as much in heavy tidal currents-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by yakersaltlife View Post
      A drift sock will help you slow down if you are being pushed by wind ....... not by tide or current. They work well for boat of Yak. You don't need a anchor trolley ...... you can just tie it to anything. An anchor trolley gives you better control because you can move it front or back to adjust how your yak is positioned on the drift.

Comment

I have thought about using one. Much easier than lowering and raising an anchor.
        Malibu Stealth 14
        Perception Caster 12.5

Comment

I use one on my PA's anchor trolley system and love it. At times the PA can be pushed around in the wind but the drift shoot really helps.
          Cliff Williams
          Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

I use one in my boat when drift fishing across the oyster beds or fishing for flounder when the wind is moving me too fast.

In a boat, you can position the drift sock so that the boat is positioned any way you want to fish. It works well and probably would be ok without a trolley in a yak as the drag isn't the same as dragging on the bottom. It isn't going to catch on anything as it floats just below the top of the water.

For a 13-15 foot yak, I would think a 26 inch with about 10 foot of rode will work well. I wouldn't worry about buying one with a dump line as you are right at the water and can grab the tail and pull it in.

Regards,

John
            John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
            MK Endura Max 55 backup power
            Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Anyone have any safety concerns when it comes to using a drift sock at a high traffic place like the bay bridge? Obviously common sense should dictate your actions, but on a busy day the boats can be zipping through the bridge gaps pretty frequently, and I see a definite disadvatage in anything that is going to limit your mobility around those pilings.

I've never used one in a yak. How much room for maneuvering do you have with a drift sock out?

Comment

I wouldn't drift through the bridge pilings. It is more productive to anchor and jig the pilings. If you are worrying about getting your anchor hung up, just use a bag of sand or cement with clothes line. If it gets hung up, cut the line and you are only out a couple of bucks.

While I have gotten hung up a couple of times at the pilings, I have never lost an anchor.

Regards,

John
                John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I use one on a 3ft bungee cord with a 2ft section of rope and the sock has a foot of lead... 6ft. Clips on my anchor Trolly on windy days and I can position it so I float perpendicular to the wind. Works great and the bungee keeps you from being jerked around. I always take it to PLO or other places where I do long drifts and it seems like it is always windy down there. I can unclip it should I hook into a nice fish (or a ray which is more likely) and I have a float on it so I can go pick it up. Otherwise just pull it in and grab the bottom to drain it quickly.

It will not help you at the bay bridge unless you are just planning on drifting. Learn to sit in the eddies (like white water kayaking) and you'll be better off without another thing dragging in the water.
                  Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                  Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                  https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X