Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carrying a 14' kayak in a short bed pick up truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrying a 14' kayak in a short bed pick up truck?

I used to have a Chevy Avalanche. I could either transport the yak on the roof racks or fold down the midgate and haul it with 3' sticking past the end of the tail gate.

Traded the truck for a Silverado short bed without roof racks or a cap. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

just get a hitch/bed extender ......... $100 or less and your problems are solved ........ you can see mine at the M&G on Sat. Simple ..easy .... no muss and no fuss ........

Comment

Agreed.

That is going to be my plan when I eventually get a small pickup truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
        just get a hitch/bed extender ......... $100 or less and your problems are solved ........ you can see mine at the M&G on Sat. Simple ..easy .... no muss and no fuss ........
        I have one too for a 14 ft malibu in the back of my Tahoe. easy to use and not hard to load and unload. try harbor freight. Good luck
        Malibu Stealth 14
        Perception Caster 12.5

Comment

I have this same issue... I am thinking about installing a reflector on the rear of my kayak!! lmao..

ATM i just flag it well and hope no one reends me...

Meadeo
          2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

I have a short bed Ram. Without a hitch extended I can haul a 14 ft. Malibu and my 12 ft. Outback with no problems. Two ratchet straps (one through the handles to precent it slidding out) one sinch strap works great.

I would recommend putting an orange or bright colored cloth on the end to make it visable to the person behind you. Similar to what you would do it you were hauling a long piece of lumber.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
            Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Just read the post above my last one . A reflector wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
              Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Anyone know if it'll be OK to haul a 14' yak in a Tacoma with double cab? I don't know how long the bed is, but an extender is needed.
                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

2 ft over the length of the bed has to be flagged and anything over 4 ft is illigal as far as i know.

Meadeo

PS. I don't think they enforce this law to heavyly. I think following it is more for safety.
                  2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Im considering going to an F150, because Im getting tired of my escape and with the ecoboost the f150 would have more hauling capacity with similar gas mileage the the escape. If I go that route, I would be hauling the yak in the bed of the truck like everyone else has mentioned. I had an F150 as a rental when my Escape was in the shop a few months ago and hauled my Outback just strapped in the bed with no problems.

Does anyone know if there are any laws about how far something can hang out past the end of your truck bed? Are you legally required to put a bright flag or something on the end?
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I dunno Ryan, but my outback has been hanging off the back of my Explorer Sport Trac by about 2' for years and no one's said anything. It's not exactly like a piece of lumber where a flag would help it stand out. It's hard to miss a big kayak as it's solid bodied.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Kokatat Pro Staff
                      Torqeedo Pro Staff
                      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                      Alan

Comment

I hang about two feet over my bed extender without flagging and i have never had an issue with it. Who knows. Its always about the moods of the police anyways.
                        Malibu Stealth 14
                        Perception Caster 12.5

Comment

My Versa is orange......maybe I should hang a black flag on it so it stands out!

Comment

My Kayak on the bed extender keeps the speeding camera tickets at bay since they can't see my plate. No issues.
                            Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

I have a ford ranger with a pro angler I use the hitch/bed extender I will take so pic and post on friday...I added lights on the back instead of a red flag...
                              Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
                              Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X