Rudder ordered from Austin Kayak - question_

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rudder ordered from Austin Kayak - question_

The OC rudder installation videos show mounting the rudder up and down line on the left side of the yak. I have my anchor trolley on the left side and would rather put the rudder control on the right. Does anyone see any problem with this?

BTW, did anyone notice that by 1200 yesterday the wind was 15k gusting to 20K? I did! My left shoulder is falling off from all the extra correction strokes I was making. I felt like I was in a sixteen foot canoe with no ballast.

That rudder can't come fast enough for me.

Regards,

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

I don't think it should be a problem. I have a Prowler 13, where my anchor line is on my left, and my rudder line is on my right.
    Sun Fishin'

Comment

If you use a right-hand baitcaster, I see no problem. Hold the rod with your left hand and alternately control the rudder and crank the reel with your right. Should work out fine.

If you use spinners, well, you can figure out what I mean with the hand switching.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Hehe. I think his rudder is controlled w/ his feet(OK), not his hands (hobie). Think how hard it would be to paddle and have to steer with your hand!

The rudder up-and-down line should be for bringing the rudder up, and flipping it down.
        Sun Fishin'

Comment

Oh, that's right, foot steering. I used my OK Trident (no rudder) for over two years before I got my Hobie. Now, I don't see how you guys fish with a paddle. I do somewhat miss the paddling, though.

Comment

Yeah, right- I miss it like I miss hemorrhoids...NOT
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I know you guys like your Hobies but I actually enjoy paddling. It keeps my upper body limber and keeps my muscles in shape. (much needed when you have bad arthritis)

I get bored working out on my Hoist machine but I never get bored paddling.
              Also, I don't paddle the distance that you guys peddal. If I want to go that kind of distance, I use my boat.

John
              John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                I know you guys like your Hobies but I actually enjoy paddling. It keeps my upper body limber and keeps my muscles in shape. (much needed when you have bad arthritis)

I get bored working out on my Hoist machine but I never get bored paddling.
                Also, I don't paddle the distance that you guys peddal. If I want to go that kind of distance, I use my boat.

John
                x2 from another older guy who needs the upper body exercise.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                  Yeah, right- I miss it like I miss hemorrhoids...NOT
                  ....lol.......

Yeah, that's what I miss, John. That upper body workout.

Comment

My rudder lift is on the right side of the kayak. The kit will allow you to place it on either side.

Comment

Thanks MM.

tufnik, I guess you catch so many fish, you don't need the extra exercise of paddling.

Me on the other hand, don't catch no steenking feesh and need all the exercise I can get.

John
                      John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Working...
                      X