lower back pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lower back pain?

I've seen some threads about good seats, but I'm not sure If I have the same, PITA, issue. I SHOULD schedule a doctors appointment, but of course Ill run out of every excuse I can think of and try to solve it myself.

I've been having some pretty bad lower back pain lately and can't really figure out whats causing it. I dont sit on my wallet, I usually sit up straight, I have a decent bed. Maybe it's my yak seat? But, I have a Native Ultimate. Supposedly some of the better seats around. It feels comfortable to me when I sit down, sit up, paddle... No issue with how it feels. I'm 26 though and in good health. I shouldn't be having this issue. Has anyone had this problem or have ways to help?
    -Jon
    Revo 13

I've had butt pain that migrated to the hamstring area, all due to sitting in my yak up to 10 hrs straight. Done it for years. The pain has creeped up to my lower back. Maybe it comes with age - I'm more than twice your age. Anyway, I've tried surf-to-summit seats as well as foam and gel pads and I still have the problem. I'm thinking an aluminum frame seat (like on the Hobie PA, Jackson Cuda, and other yaks) might help. Maybe I need more yak breaks during an outing, or maybe give up yak fishing
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

It is the angle of the seated position- I have found when I let the seat back farther back in my Hobie and semi recline peddling I can go all day long without ANY issues whatsoever- nada- no numb butt, no aching deltoids, no lower back pain....and I am nearly three times your age...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
        It is the angle of the seated position- I have found when I let the seat back farther back in my Hobie and semi recline peddling I can go all day long without ANY issues whatsoever- nada- no numb butt, no aching deltoids, no lower back pain....and I am nearly three times your age...
        Never tried that far lean back method. I usually have only a slight incline. Will try your method.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

It'll take more then a little pain to get me away from the water. My seat has an aluminum frame. Not much cushion but really stable and comfortable. No butt pain or leg pain. Just off the side of my lower spin above my hip bone. Similar area to a pinched nerve I had during a football season back in high school, but not as sharp of a pain as that. I also have a crappy chair at work that looks nice but is like sitting in a wicker basket. (there go my excuses again)
          -Jon
          Revo 13

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
            So I should lean back more? That could be it. I never noticed the pain when I first started out, but the more I read about proper paddling technique, the more I saw articles on proper posture. So I kept inching up my back rest. Now I sit about 90 degree perpendicular to the waterline. Maybe that's too much.
            -Jon
            Revo 13

Comment

I bought the Skawosh (s?) cushion and it is great. I also use it in the car and my Sciatica pain has all but gone! I would recommend for anyone who suffers from lower back or leg pain when paddling.

Regards,

John
              John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
              MK Endura Max 55 backup power
              Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

The pain isn't traveling into my legs or butt. It also flames up and dies down. So, I dont think its sciatica. Now that I've looked at symptoms and causes, I could have strained my lower back. Maybe from lifting my kayak or moving some furniture. Or I have degenerative disc disease

It's worth a look though and thanks for the suggestion.
                -Jon
                Revo 13

Comment

i have had neck/back issues for over a decade. the kayak bothers my lower back but the reason i'm writing is to suggest that trying to do something about it - improving ergonomics, cushioning, taking breaks, moderation overall, medical advice, general increased physical activity/health in regular life, ice after irritation are all things to consider.

but what you don't want to do is just 'drive' it to the next level if you can help it. there is a level of chronic irritation where neck/back pain can get into a vicious cycle of getting worse instead of better that you want to avoid.

Comment

You should get an MRI to check for degenerative disks. If you have it, there are specific exercises that you can do to build up your core and keep the pain at bay.

I have Osteo Arthritis and Degenerative Disks and I can attest that excercise can keep you away from the knife for a long while at least.

John
                    John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                      You should get an MRI to check for degenerative disks. If you have it, there are specific exercises that you can do to build up your core and keep the pain at bay.

I have Osteo Arthritis and Degenerative Disks and I can attest that excercise can keep you away from the knife for a long while at least.

John
                      So what are these magic exercises?! Years of sports and weight lifting have worn my back down. I'd be more than eager to throw a few different moves in there. I'd think fishing would be a nice change of pace but it seems just as hard on the back

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Kokatat Pro Staff
                      Torqeedo Pro Staff
                      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                      Alan

Comment

Ill have to make an appointment to see a doctor. I'll keep my fingers crossed. It really came out of nowhere. Slowly getting worse to where it's starting to affect me and get really uncomfortable. I've been very healthy and active all my life. A little frustrating when you aren't sure whats going on.
                        -Jon
                        Revo 13

Comment

When yuo have back issues there are two things you need to do.

1. Have a MRI done , the tube not the open type, so they can determine exactly what is wrong. Bulging disk, deteriorated disk, arthritis etc.

2. Go to a good Physical Therapist and show them the report. They will teach you how to do core exercises that will build up the muscles that you need built up that will support the area with the problem.

In my case, I also go to a good chiropracter every two or three months. The reason this works for me is that my disks are deteriorating and realigning my spine works to relieve my pain. This doesn't work for everyone but it does work for me.

Also, be carefull of how much pain medication you take. I stay off steriods and use managed doses of Advil as that can have bad effects also.

I have managed to avoid surgery for 11 years and hope to avoid it for the rest of my life.

Regards,

John
                          John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

I've also had lower back issues off and on. Two other things to consider that don't make intuitive sense based on what my chiropractor recommended. First, do your feet have high arches? If so, get some insoles with better arch support. New Balance makes some that I use, and I'm about to try some from Road Runner Sports. An easy way to test if your shoes provide enough support is to put one hand on top of the other straight out in front of you while standing (and wearing your shoes) and have someone push down on your hands. If they can push down easily, you probably need better support.

Another cause of lower back pain is hamstrings that are too tight. Stretch like a ballerina by standing and putting your leg straight out on something (desk, chair, etc) and lean slightly while keeping your knee straight. You should feel your hamstring stretch.

Anyhow, that just my $0.02. Hope it helps.
                            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

No worries! I went to the Doc and found out it is a muscle in my sacrum. Only problem with that is the sacrum is an area with 5 vertebrae that attach the tail bone and ligaments to the hip bone (or something like that) So it freaking hurts. Debilitating when inflammed. Lucky for me they only prescribe Motrin or ibuprofen. I could have really benefited from a muscle relaxer I think. Good ol military medicine. They’ll give you Motrin for a hole in the head if they could. I've looked online for streches. It feels good but seems to just piss it off and make it worse. Guess Ill keep trying and hope it gets better. Thanks for all the replies and help!
                              -Jon
                              Revo 13

Comment

Working...
                              X