No announcement yet.

Raising the crate - need ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the large rectangular crates also. The same cutting method, also makes for a top.

Comment

I went fishing today and had my yak off the roof of my truck so I took the opportunity to take some pics of my crate.
      Attached Files

Comment

I made a wood brace like Tufnik did. I have it screwed and glued to fit the prowler. I have to sand and coat it good with deck stain. The real work is to make it work on the Commander and fit inside the tankwell on it as I use the same crate in both yaks. It can sit on the bottom in the Commander. I just need to test it on both.

I am still working on it. Thanks for the pics Martin.
        "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

i found crates at kmart a while back. some other store too but cant recall exactly. possibly office depot. not sure.

Comment

Aren't milk crates made to stack? Maybe try getting another one but cut it short and bond the two together.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

My finished crate built like Tufnik's. Plain 1x4 and 1 x2 stock, glued and screwed and sealed with deck sealer.

"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

Comment

Nice Job

Looks nice Rob. Did you use a router on it?

Comment

Yeah, nice work. Looks like you chose a lengthwise install on the crate. Your frame looks good.
                  2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

No Tom, It's just simply screwed together. The 1x4 supports the crate and 1x2 just lines it up in the tankwell and supplies horizontal rigidity.

Comment

I found this on another site where Rob Choi raised his crate with the plastic inserts that keep paper rolls in the enter of a shipping box. I have seen these on plotter paper, but they did not look as stiff as these are. But a good idea, none the less.

Comment

Working...
                      X