JK Coosa, new yak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JK Coosa, new yak?

I have a Native Ultimate 14.5 and love it. Except for the part where I'm dragging around 3 extra feet every time I go out because my wife will most likely never come out with me. This was the main selling point of getting a yak in the first place. I've been interested in SOT's for a while since a lot of you have them and can get into bigger waters, but I can stand and fish which I really enjoy. Well I came across Jackson Kayaks and the Coosa looks sweet! It's a bit heavy but nothing I'm not already lugging around. Before I get too deep and put a for sale sign on my Ultimate, I was wondering. 1) Do or have any of you had a Jackson and what do you think of them. 2) Are there, behind the scenes pro's and con's of a SOT? Something that you dont really notice until you've been on one. 3) Is this a good trade off? More specifically, should I just suck it up and enjoy that I can bring every piece of gear and a person with me? Or is it THAT much more enjoyable on something tailored to a specific need. Of course this can be subjective, but Im just trying to get some thoughts flowing.
    -Jon
    Revo 13

Nice Kayak

I like the Coosa's and it is on my short list of potential kayaks for my next one. I think the Coosa is the perfect boat for the Upper Potomac. I hear that the seat is comfy, but that big guys tip easy in them when the seat is in the elevated position. I hear that they catch the wind and don't track great on big open water. But I hear they maneuver great. I like sit on tops, but I want the ability to stand up. So I think the Coosa fits both of those bills. I know one guy that has one and loves it. He says the quality is good and he's happy with his purchase and he mostly uses it for smallmouth fishing on the Potomac.

Comment

Those are the issues I'm worried about, tracking and being pushed around easy. I'm wondering if a drag chain can fix the second issue. I'm fishing tributaries around middle Potomac. Open and sometimes windy. I love everything about this yak except for those 2 things that can quickly get frustrating when you're loosing patients. The Cuda is too much. I was told to check out the Malibu Stealth 12. Looks decent but I don't think it has the same quality as the Coosa.
      -Jon
      Revo 13

Comment

If you don't need scuppers

If you don't need scuppers, the Wilderness Commander 120 is hard to beat. They are rugged and have two seating options. The regular seat sits low and is comfy. But if you want to be elevated, you can sit up high on the captain's perch. The thing is uber stable and you can easily stand and fish. I believe it tracks better than the Coosa and handles wind better. But no scuppers.

Comment

The commander looks really nice. It's very similar to what I have now though. I wouldn't say I NEED scuppers either. ugh, decisions decisions. I should have gone with that in the first place but now I feel like I need something different. I think I want scuppers so I can get out in different condition and have the ability to fish all waters.
          Last edited by jsnyd86; 05-21-2012, 12:28 PM.
          -Jon
          Revo 13

Comment

Coosa owner

I like my Coosa for moving water but on the reservoir where I've been mainly fishing it's not ideal. The seating is really comfortable, it's very maneuverable, laid out for fishing nicely. The wind can push you around especially when you're in the high seat position but you can easily lower the seat. I stand and fish when the water isn't too choppy - part of the aging process I guess is less agility

I've had mine about a year without any issues. But since I'm not going to be doing much river fishing I bought an Ultimate 12 last week for the reservoir and am rigging it with a Bassyak trolling set up. So I will be selling the Coosa in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by hooked again View Post
              I've had mine about a year without any issues. But since I'm not going to be doing much river fishing I bought an Ultimate 12 last week for the reservoir and am rigging it with a Bassyak trolling set up. So I will be selling the Coosa in a couple of weeks.
              I think I may hold off for a few weeks and re-evaluate my need for a new yak. I want everything now and it's hard to look away from the shiny new objects. I think I've decided on the Stealth 12, but let me know when you're selling your Coosa. I'd be interested in giving it some thought at least.
              -Jon
              Revo 13

Comment

PM Sent

Originally posted by hooked again View Post
                I like my Coosa for moving water but on the reservoir where I've been mainly fishing it's not ideal. The seating is really comfortable, it's very maneuverable, laid out for fishing nicely. The wind can push you around especially when you're in the high seat position but you can easily lower the seat. I stand and fish when the water isn't too choppy - part of the aging process I guess is less agility

PM Sent. Please let me know if you need a buyer for your Coosa.

Comment

Working...
                X