Phase 1 complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phase 1 complete

Well ......... was windy w/whitecaps at Cherrystone so I spent the whole day finishing the first stage of the Memory Maker. Finished @ 8 and decided I would water test in the morning before leaving ........... it rained so no water test ......... oh well ....

I like it ....... even installed the spreader lights ....... they make night time fishing like day time fishing ....... using a 32 ah battery for the DF and the lights etc so I won't run out of battery in a nights fishing ......... as you can see ...... I LOVE the Yakattack stuff ....... gear tracks and mightmounted Scotty mounts everywhere and the Panfish mounts and the flag and light in the back and a bunch of screwballs and ram mounts .......... makes it sooooooo easy to customize and change configs at a moments notice .........
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Memory Maker; 05-21-2012, 02:13 PM.

That's not a yak! It's a commercial fishing vessel.

Looks good,

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Cool rigging.

Your yakattak pole seems far forward. Isn't it a bit far for your Go-Pro?

Curious to know why you didn't use a wet-well inside the hull for the transducer. The side mount seems like it'll get in the way of things.

Will you actually measure the fish on the mounted trough, or measure it after you remove the trough?

BTW, how's the flounder bite down there?
      Last edited by tufnik; 05-21-2012, 03:22 PM.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Shocking that those 2 picnic tables adequately supported that mass of fishing getup...very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
          Cool rigging.

Your yakattak pole seems far forward. Isn't it a bit far for your Go-Pro?

Curious to know why you didn't use a wet-well inside the hull for the transducer. The side mount seems like it'll get in the way of things.

Will you actually measure the fish on the mounted trough, or measure it after you remove the trough?

BTW, how's the flounder bite down there?
          Don't use a go pro ........ use the VIO POV that has a remote so I can start stop and tag from my wrist. Besides ...... EVERYTHING is mounted on gear tracs so it can be moved or repositioned at a moments notice ........ some use the screwballs and ram mounts and some are just gear tracs ........

Didn't use a wet well because it is a SI DI DF so you really need to be under the Yak to get the best returns. I also wanted the option to essentially turn off the DF by turning it sideways out of the water or take it off of the side completely in about a minute. That way I can approach a spot with real stealth by only using my GPS. Probably a crazy idea but I figure if the fish can feel vibrations from baitfish on the lateral lines they can also feel the DF pings .......... I know a guy in the upper bay that catches ALOT of big stripers each year ........... he finds the structure and turns off his motor and df and uses a seperate gps to find the structure ....... he uses an electric trolling motor very sparingly to make sure he drifts over the structure ....... he catches more than everyone else ......... he also leaves when someone else comes by ....... I think he figures the motor and DF noise affect the fishing .......... he never really said that and he doesn't talk much but it's just what I observed ..... guess I'll find out ........

You measure the fish on the mounted trough. The mount saves you the hassle of reaching for it while you are holding the fish ........

Locals said the Flounder out of Oyster was red hot till about 10 days ago then just about quit ....... NE wind made it tough going this weekend ....... white caps in the flats by Cherrystone .......

Comment

Wait, you bought a Pro angler and added a bass yak motor? Did you get tired of peddling?
            "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Can't wait to see some fishing reports now!
              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Phase 1?? What's left for phase 2?
                Mike S.
                Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post
                  Wait, you bought a Pro angler and added a bass yak motor? Did you get tired of peddling?
                  Oh no ........ not a Bass Yaks ......... a Torqeedo .....thing weights 16 lbs has great thrust and a boat like controller ...even a kill switch .....

Laast year ....... had to peddle 3 miles against a 25 - 35 mph head wind and 1 1/2 ft waves in 3 - 7 ft of water ......... thought I'd never get back .......... would have paid a ton for a motor that day .......... ask around ....... a bunch of guys have motors on their Hobies .......... Dogfish has a Torqeedo on his PA too ........ Shady has an Evolve on his Revo (or Outback) etc .........

It'll make a day of trolling more enjoyable and get ya out of trouble when you need the power of the motor and the Mirage Drive in a stiff current like it gets at time around the Highrise ..........

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                    Phase 1?? What's left for phase 2?
                    switch for the lights, anchor trolley, sound deadening, torqeedo stearing, gunn all install ............ seat adjustments .......... stabilizers/outriggers ....... h bar motor controller mount .........

Phase 3 might be ....... possible planer boards ...... underwater lighting ....... possible bilge pump hook up ...... possible electronic switch panel ........ better lighting for night time snakehead fishing/hunting ........

Comment

coming from a paddler, it just seem like a sin, you know. Next will be adding the weed whacker mud motor or a a 6hp Mud Buddy on one

Just yanking your chain. If you don't mind living in sin, then have fun while you can.
                      "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                        Can't wait to see some fishing reports now!
                        you'll get them ........... got a few last year ......... catfish at Mattawoman..... trout in Colorado .......... specks around VB ..........

Hope to get much more this year ..........

Comment

Hawg rackets

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                          Don't use a go pro ........ use the VIO POV that has a remote so I can start stop and tag from my wrist. Besides ...... EVERYTHING is mounted on gear tracs so it can be moved or repositioned at a moments notice ........ some use the screwballs and ram mounts and some are just gear tracs ........

Didn't use a wet well because it is a SI DI DF so you really need to be under the Yak to get the best returns. I also wanted the option to essentially turn off the DF by turning it sideways out of the water or take it off of the side completely in about a minute. That way I can approach a spot with real stealth by only using my GPS. Probably a crazy idea but I figure if the fish can feel vibrations from baitfish on the lateral lines they can also feel the DF pings .......... I know a guy in the upper bay that catches ALOT of big stripers each year ........... he finds the structure and turns off his motor and df and uses a seperate gps to find the structure ....... he uses an electric trolling motor very sparingly to make sure he drifts over the structure ....... he catches more than everyone else ......... he also leaves when someone else comes by ....... I think he figures the motor and DF noise affect the fishing .......... he never really said that and he doesn't talk much but it's just what I observed ..... guess I'll find out ........

You measure the fish on the mounted trough. The mount saves you the hassle of reaching for it while you are holding the fish ........

Locals said the Flounder out of Oyster was red hot till about 10 days ago then just about quit ....... NE wind made it tough going this weekend ....... white caps in the flats by Cherrystone .......
                          Where did you get your trough rackets? I looked on their web site and didn't see them. Thx
                          2010 Hobie ProAngler

Comment

Great job Rick. It looks real nice, now let's see you catch some fish..

I have been toying with adding some 12 volt marine LEDs to illuminate the cockpit at night for night fishing.

Comment

Here are the LED lights the waterfowl guys use. Most buy the red ones.

LED 12V lights

Comment

Working...
                              X