raising the seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raising the seat

I looked for this specific issue, but didn't find much. I will be purchasing a stealth 12 soon and am a little concerned about having a wet but. While trying to think of way to bring the seat up a few inches I keep hitting a road block. I don't know how the seat is constructed since this will be my first SOT. Can it be as simple as putting pool noodles under my seat?
    -Jon
    Revo 13

I am not familiar with that kayak. On my Ocean Kayak Drifter, I always place a standard boat throw cushion beneath the snap in kayak seat. It raises me 3" off the floor and keeps my butt dry. Of course, that extra elevation changes your center of gravity and slightly reduces the stability of the boat.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

You might try sitting on a throwable life cushion first to see if it's what you want. When you raise the seat you raise the center or gravity making it a little more tippy ......... I have an adjustable slide that will raise the seat in my PA 2 inches but I will try the seat cushion first to see if I like it before installing it .......... another Phase 2 project .......

Comment

jsnyd86, Raising the seat will give you a higher center of gravity and could cause problems with stability. if you plug the scupper holes under the seat of a Malibu with foam golfballs, it stays dry in all but the roughest conditions.

GB

Comment

jsnyd,

I have the Stealth-12 and have the screw in plugs in the seat area. The only time my but gets wet is from a side wave or just from paddling. I am going to try a knee pad on mine the next time I go out just to see how that works out. It should provide a little extra support and not put too much lift on your center of gravity. Try different things, you can always take and throw them in the back if you don't need it. just my .02
          Keith
          2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

thanks for the tips guys. I'm not too concerned with stability since it is already a very stable yak. But, I will consider that and keep it in mind before I make any drastic moves. I just really like the hi-low seat on the Coosa. Wish I could do something like that for fishing in back creek areas and slow water. I will be standing and fishing but why stand when you can sit.
            -Jon
            Revo 13

Comment

Originally posted by yakersaltlife View Post
              jsnyd,I have the Stealth-12 and have the screw in plugs in the seat area. The only time my but gets wet is from a side wave or just from paddling. I am going to try a knee pad on mine the next time I go out just to see how that works out. It should provide a little extra support and not put too much lift on your center of gravity. Try different things, you can always take and throw them in the back if you don't need it. just my .02
              thanks for the advice. how do you like your stealth? Im a little nervous about a few of the unknowns since it will be my first SOT. Is it comfortable? I mean for hours of fishing?
              -Jon
              Revo 13

Comment

I find it to be comfortable. I didnt receive numbness until after about 5 hours of fishing, but I think that was also due to my arse being wet. I am looking forward to getting to use the livewell in it for livelining here soon, but it also works really well for a storage place. I can put one of the big plano boxes in it and carry most of my stuff. the need for a crate is minimal at that point, so you can really cut down on weight. We will see how things are in the future.
                Keith
                2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

I find it to be comfortable. I didnt receive numbness until after about 5 hours of fishing, but I think that was also due to my arse being wet. I am looking forward to getting to use the livewell in it for livelining here soon, but it also works really well for a storage place. I can put one of the big plano boxes in it and carry most of my stuff. the need for a crate is minimal at that point, so you can really cut down on weight. We will see how things are in the future.
                  yea I cant wait to use that either. A really cool idea and great for this areas striper season. Along with the casting platform and storage bins in the foot wells. Not sure what to do with my bait bucket now lol. Have you had any trouble with leaking? Or alterations you've had to do right away to fix something?
                  -Jon
                  Revo 13

Comment

So far, no leaks. I was concerned about some reports of taking water into the front hatch, but i have since been out and took a few waves over the hatch. I had a little bit of water in the hull at the end. It was just enough that one sponge could have sopped(SP?) is all up. Otherwise, everything has been good for me. For this area, especially the BB and Bay area, it totally makes sense to have a Hobie drive system, but I plan on moving to SC in a year, so i wanted something I could paddle into the flats with for reds. We will see what cool ideas I come up with for using the bait well then...
                    Keith
                    2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

So far, no leaks. I was concerned about some reports of taking water into the front hatch, but i have since been out and took a few waves over the hatch. I had a little bit of water in the hull at the end. It was just enough that one sponge could have sopped(SP?) is all up. Otherwise, everything has been good for me. For this area, especially the BB and Bay area, it totally makes sense to have a Hobie drive system, but I plan on moving to SC in a year, so i wanted something I could paddle into the flats with for reds. We will see what cool ideas I come up with for using the bait well then...
                      If I start getting way out there I may get a trolling motor of some sort, I really like the flat transom area for that type of application. But until then.. Ill just paddle. thanks for the tips and helpful ideas.
                      -Jon
                      Revo 13

Comment

finally got a dry ride out of my hobie on saturday, since the expedition seat and the hobie seat soak up water i made a pad out of closed cell packing and put a trash bag on the seat back to keep my back dry. worked well not wet. pad only about 5/8" thick so not throwing my center of gravity off.

had to do this saturday at the anacostia didnt was to soak my butt in that water

Comment

Working...
                        X