Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocean kayak trident ultra 4.7

Hello,
    For the people that own or used this kayak I was wondering what you thought about it. There is a YouTube video titled - " Florida outdoor presents the ocean kayak trident ultra 4.7 angler - walk thru" which to me seems to have a lot of features and seems to be a decent kayak. Do you think it's stable enough to fish the bay? Thanks

Pat

I don't think theres any question it would handle the bay. Should be pretty fast at 29 inches wide and 15+ ft long. I had the trident 15 they say it was based on and it was a nice yak just alot more than I needed. 15' 5" is a lot of yak!

Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by chimo View Post
      I don't think theres any question it would handle the bay. Should be pretty fast at 29 inches wide and 15+ ft long. I had the trident 15 they say it was based on and it was a nice yak just alot more than I needed. 15' 5" is a lot of yak!

Chimo
      +1 on all points.

The Ultra is nice, but too long. I have a Trident 13, which is just right. Maneuverability is important, especially if you work pilings, docks, water plants and rockpiles. A long yak is not that maneuverable. A short yak may not give you the capacity and ability to handle big chops. I would gladly trade sleekness and speed for maneuverability.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Thanks guys. I appreciate your input. The more I think about it... 15' is definitely to long for me.

Comment

I paddle a 16' Tarpon, and I fished Kipto fine in 3' plus swells, and I fished everywhere in those conditions. When your close to pilings like Ive been in OC, BB, and Assateague its more about how small of places you can fit. Once your up against any type of structure manueverablety doesnt really matter in my mind because your just kinda bouncing off/holding on/paddling against. If im not trying to get to close to the structure like casting to pilings at the BB or Rt 50 then a longer boat works just as well also. I guess its more of getting used to a longer boat and remembering you have 7+ ft sticking out behind you. I love my 16 footer, and wouldnt trade it for anything. Ill be using my dads 14' Tarpon in vacation in OBX in a week so Ill see how they compare.
          -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
          -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Trident ultra 4.3
            hello pat, i purchased a trdient ultra 4.3 early this spring and am very happy with its performance all around. It has a very sleak hull design and cuts thru the water nicely. It is suprisingly stable despite how narrow it is. I too looked at the 4.7 but chose the 4.3 instead for manuverability and transport reasons. They are very nicelt laid out with t-nuts molded into the hull for various attachments/ rigging. I actually picked mine up online as a show demo model around 350.00 off asking price from a company in california with free shipping also.hope this helps with your choose. Ryan

Comment

Working...
            X