WP cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WP cameras

i recently bought a nikon aw100 but am planning to return it. maybe my own fault, not sure. but i'm not happy with the video quality for my usage.

might get a panasonic ts3 or ts4. both the nikon, and the panasonic all shoot HD. the aw100 has a cmos sensor, panasonic has ccd sensor but provides choice of compression algorhrythm.

i'm interested in any comments from anyone that's owned either of these cameras.

i may be able to get my fujifilm xp20 replaced under warranty again.

my biggest complaint about the xp20 camera (other than it's currently busted) is it only shoots 10 mins continuous video. it uses a ccd sensor and i like its video quality. fwiw - you can tell ccd cameras by the vertical smears when sensor is overloaded by light. not optimum, but i was satisfied with video quality.

otherwise, the on/off button operation is a little vague and i have missed shots several times thinking the camera was on, when it wasn't.

each one of these cameras have the 28mm equivalent wide angle lens i like (plus optical zoom).

Originally posted by Southerly View Post
    i recently bought a nikon aw100 but am planning to return it. maybe my own fault, not sure. but i'm not happy with the video quality for my usage.

might get a panasonic ts3 or ts4. both the nikon, and the panasonic all shoot HD. the aw100 has a cmos sensor, panasonic has ccd sensor but provides choice of compression algorhrythm.

i'm interested in any comments from anyone that's owned either of these cameras.

i may be able to get my fujifilm xp20 replaced under warranty again.

my biggest complaint about the xp20 camera (other than it's currently busted) is it only shoots 10 mins continuous video. it uses a ccd sensor and i like its video quality. fwiw - you can tell ccd cameras by the vertical smears when sensor is overloaded by light. not optimum, but i was satisfied with video quality.

otherwise, the on/off button operation is a little vague and i have missed shots several times thinking the camera was on, when it wasn't.

each one of these cameras have the 28mm equivalent wide angle lens i like (plus optical zoom).
    ......... yeah but you can also usually tell by some of the video quality ....... although my video education is old ......... usually the ccd's are the more expensive chips and usually provide better quality ........ I always look for a CCD in a camera if I can get it. It also has to do with the quality of the chip and operating software. I was relly surprised when i took some video with the VIO POV HD at the M&G. I went from bright sunlight outside indoors and it didn't miss a beat. The camera handled the transition very well. It also has a white balalnce adjustment so you can set it if you want.

Comment

i researched and thought the cmos would be better. apparently, it's a technology that could be better. fuji rep i spoke with said nikon is one of few that makes their own sensor.

not sure, but i think the newer gopro has gone w/cmos, and has good vid quality. but my video quality results with aw100 1080pHD and cmos was inferior to fujifilm xp20's 720p video using ccd (with exception for vertical light smearing). like i say, maybe it was just me, my settings or something but water sparkles didn't look natural, droplets of splashed water weren't clearly defined, and fish seemed to have an outline around them to some extent; like they were pasted onto the pic.

i attached an aw100 still from HD video. not the worst example of noted complaints, but you can probly see what i mean.

just guessing, but this seems like more of a problem from file compression, and could even be my fault somehow but i used their software and not happy with results on my windows 7.

i'll have to send it in, then wait 2 weeks to find out if fuji is going to replace my old camera on warranty. i think i'll take plunge on panasonic but just make sure they have a good return policy 1st.
      Last edited by Southerly; 06-06-2012, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X