Depth Finder Rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depth Finder Rig

I have recently bought the FS10 from bass pro shops. I want to put a quality depth finder on this thing. In doing so i need a battery, what can i right this up with to perform the depth finder with what kind of battery

any info on how to set this up is appreciated
    Zach Moore
    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
    Bait Towel Pro Staff
    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

i mainly just want something simple to see depth, i try and find fish pending depth and water temperature and structures, dont really rely on the fish being shown on the screen. but id like to mount in on the front, and run a while right under the top, and transducer on the bottom, but drill a hole through the bow, but id like to get a small light battery pack. just not sure how to do it
    Zach Moore
    Bait Towel Pro Staff
    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

I have been reading "Kayak Fishing The Complete Guide" by Cory Routh. It has some very useful ideas on rigging. He did a complete section on mounting and powering a depth finder. He uses a small battery and a dry box to power his finder. The box is set up with a marine cigarette plug and receptacle. It is a clean set up, small batteries (12v 7 AmpH) can be found in Baltimore at Baynesville Electronics on Joppa Rd. They should run around 20 bucks and they are only a couple pounds. Pick up a trickle charger to maintain them and you should be all set for a FF. The book is worth getting, very good information.

SP

Comment

Hey new to the forum as well. I asked the same question, and the guys on here answered my questions. I just finished building my battery box. I have a hummingbird 525 and a 170. I bought a battery clip from radio shack that holds 8 AA's and a pack of 9 volt connectors for under $6.00. Picked up a small waterproof box from dicks for $10.00. I am using some foam to hold the battery pack in place. Also enough space for a spare set of batteries. It is transferable between the 2 kayaks, light weight, water proof, and I used velcro to attach it as high as I could get it. I went this way for mainly one particular reason. Sometimes I decide to fish at the last minute. I don't have to remember to charge my battery, even though I do have that set up. And if I check my ff and think it might go out on me, I have a spare set, or can pick some up for cheap at, well, damn near anywhere. That, for me, is the biggest reason.

But, in the end, its what you have, what you can afford, and what you like best. If it does what you want, mission accomplished.

I will post pictures tomorrow sometime....if I don't go out before work!

Comment

Thanks for the tips . Thats what i think im going to go with . I have a portable FFfromhummingbird that i use for my 10 " pond prowler but it does not clip onto the yak.but these tips r exactly what i had in mind .
          Zach Moore
          Bait Towel Pro Staff
          2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by BassMoore View Post
            I have recently bought the FS10 from bass pro shops. I want to put a quality depth finder on this thing. In doing so i need a battery, what can i right this up with to perform the depth finder with what kind of battery

any info on how to set this up is appreciated

You can also use a 12 volt, 10ah or 12ah battery. They are small and only weigh a few pounds. You can get them from Cabelas, which includes a charger. You can also get the batteries from local places like battery warehouse. You can put them inside any waterproof container, such as a plastic food container, a water proof bag or more fancy a Pelican box. There are some online kayak stores that sell the ready made boxes and battery combinations, for a price of course. I use a 12ah battery and it runs a Humminbird 597 for a few trips on a single charge. I generally charge the battery for each trip. You can just run the power wires, with an inline fuse, directly to the battery. It is a simple rig.

Comment

Seems like most people leave the transducer inside the yak . The water temp is huge for me . Ive heard u can leave it outside the yak with small holes . Im jus worrried during transportation it may get screwed up in the bed of my truck
              Zach Moore
              Bait Towel Pro Staff
              2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Mad Frog Gear makes an arm for transducers. I am using one as a temp rig until I go for a through the scupper rig.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                  Mad Frog Gear makes an arm for transducers. I am using one as a temp rig until I go for a through the scupper rig.
                  How good is that mad frog? I made something similiar and mounted on a ram ball but it kept riding back ........ couldn't get it tight enough so it wouldn't ride back.

Comment

Mad Frog

The mad frog transducer arm looks like a great product. I will eventually get one.

Comment

It can't slide back. The bolt or screws mount across the gunnel.

Comment

Working...
                      X