new seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new seat

This is my first post, just join site about a month ago. I bought a F&S Eagle Talon and the seat is terrible. can anyone recommend a good seat? Also a milk crate won't fit, any suggestion? I'm excited about hitting the water and learning as much as I can.

CRazy Creek kayak seat....about 1/2 the price of others and mine is GREAT. $60 on Amazon
    Last edited by kevinfry; 06-12-2012, 09:12 PM.
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

If a crate won't fit how about a cooler or five gallon bucket?

Comment

I agree with Chimo. After looking at your kayak, it looks like a 5 gal bucket will fit in there. If you don’t have one, Home Depot has them for $4-5. Don’t spend a ton of money on stuff until you get out there and figure out what you might need or want to store. Welcome to the site.
        2012 Hobie Revo 13'
        2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Specs also say it has molded-in space for one 3600 tackle box and bucket
          2012 Hobie Revo 13'
          2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

if the problem with the seat is the fact it slides around try one of the drawer liners under it to add some grip. I found it slippery and too low for comfort and upgraded to a higher back.
            also figured out a tall square bucket(the type kitty litter comes in) might make a suitable replacement for the milk crate that won't fit . I'll review one once I've had a chance to river test it

Comment

Originally posted by Shield View Post
              Don’t spend a ton of money on stuff until you get out there and figure out what you might need or want to store. Welcome to the site.
              Shield makes an excellent point. It is not necessary to have every possible accessory in order to start fishing with your kayak. Start out with just a few things and see what you really want to back your fishing easier or more flexible.

Unlike most of the guys on this site, I do not use a milk crate. I carry all the tackle I need for a day in one or two soft-sided 6-pack-size cooler bags. They can sit either in the rear well or in between my legs. In addition, I do not like to store my rods in an upright position. Most of my fishing is casting -- I have found too many times that any upright object behind me will end up snagging my casts.

I use three Scotty rod holders set in a nearly horizontal position. They can pivot outward for trolling, but usually I leave them inline with the hull. When underway, my kayak has a low profile both laterally and vertically. For the way I fish, that works best.

The first photo shows my kayak rigged for a full-day outing. It was one of my first long trips back in 2010. I rarely bother with a cooler or bucket anymore. The second photo shows the kayak the way I normally rig it now -- that was at the May meet and greet near Chesapeake Beach.
              Attached Files
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
              X