Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Kayak purchased with questions.

Hi,
    After a year of yearning I made the jump and bought my 1st kayak ever. Of course I got it for fishing. I got an Ascend FS10, entry level Im sure, I dream of one day sporting around in a Hobie Pro Angler.

Would you all be kind and offer the new guy some hints and suggestions?
    About Me:
    I'm 44 and in mediocre shape; that means I'm fat and out of shape ). I have been in touring Kayaks 3-4 times in the last year, did very well, and was secure in thinking a Kayak would work for me. I have canoed many times since I was 10.
    I plan to earn my aches and stiffness on the still waters of Tridelphia and Rocky Gorge and the crowded lake at Centennial.
    I fish with a spinning reel and mostly go after small mouth and large mouth Bass.

I have purchased so far:
    PFD red
    1st aid kit
    whistle
    dry bag
    tie downs and foam to strap my yak to the truck or Mini Van.

Let me know what I have gotten myself into...

Thanks,
    PudgyPrawn
    Ascend FS10

PP,

The FS10 is the yak I started off with as well and it should more than meet your needs! I would add an achor trolley + anchor and when you decide the time is right a fish finder and you should be all set. I fish Rocky Gorge now and then along with some of the other people on this site so maybe I will see you there.

Chimo

Comment

Chimo gave good advice. I would recommend hitting the water and paddeling it around a few times before doing any mods that way you can figure out where you want to mount things. The worst thing is to add something like a clam or zig-zag cleet only to find out you bust your knuckels on it when you paddle.
      Locate, close with, and destroy the enemy, by fire and maneuver, or repel the enemy assault by fire and close combat.

Ascend A10
      Nagging the wife for a Commander 140

Comment

Originally posted by Devildog4329 View Post
        The worst thing is to add something like a clam or zig-zag cleet only to find out you bust your knuckels on it when you paddle.
        +1 been there and done that and plastic welded the holes shut.
        "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

I'm in the same position ... had my first yak for a little over a week now ... this thread is a good reminder of what I need to do as well. By the way, I live really close to Rocky Gorge (Scott's Cove is the closest launch) and am looking to get out there as well. Let me know if you guys are going!
          Hobie Revolution

Comment

i bought the fs10 about 3 weeks ago, and i love it. Im looking into modding it up a little. Depth finder and such. I fish for large mouth around the area, i used all baitcasters before but im making a slow switch to all light tackle spinning gear.

I bought a paddle leash, a small trout net which has handled a few 5lbs already, and a small pad for the seat, which isnt that great. The rod holder ontop will need to be replaced, its not very good and wears out fast.
            Zach Moore
            Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
            Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
            Bait Towel Pro Staff
            2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
            YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

My first kayak was also the FS10 and I still have it for splashing around in skinnier or calmer water. Its a nice little kayak. My anchor trolley on the FS 10 consists of a length of rope with caribiner clips on each end clipped to the handles at each end of the kayak. The rope is run in a loop through each caribiner and both ends of the rope are tied to another carabiner clip in the middle that I run the anchor line through. Simple, cheap and no holes in the kayak. Another easy thing to add to the kayak is a crate. The great thing about the FS 10 is that the Stern well is molded perfectly to hold a crate. Once you get the crate you can easily screw som lengths of PVC pipe to it for extra rod holders.
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

You have gotten yourself in to the worse addiction known to man ............ crack would have been kinder .......... welcome to the Yak Addict Crack House ...

Comment

Working...
                X