Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to transport 2 kayaks without a heavy duty roof rack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to transport 2 kayaks without a heavy duty roof rack?

So ... I bought my first yak a little over a week ago (Hobie Revo 13') and just yesterday, I picked up another yak for my wife/guest (Hobie Sport 9.5'). I've got a 2005 Toyota Camry and have so far been able to transport the Revo just fine with a "Malone Handirack" (http://www.maloneautoracks.com/handirack.php) but now I'm faced with the prospect of transporting 2 yaks. The Revo weighs around 75 lbs and the Sport weighs around 50 lbs ... so the rack I have would support both of them weight-wise. Since they are both different widths, they can't sit next to one another ... it seems as though I will have to sit the Sport directly on top of the Revo ... has anyone ever done this? Any suggestions? Maybe another roof rack system?
    Hobie Revolution

Hey Mike,

I've done the "kayak sex" transport position numerous times for two yaks. Upside down, you just have to figure out which one fits better inside the other one (I'd guess the revo would be on top). I srapped them down separately. I've done this with a T-120 & a synergy 14, also more recently with my Torque & mytmouse's Big Game.

Ideally, a real roof rack would be better for this type of transport. I got my roof rack system from ORS Direct. They have good sales sometimes. Once you get a rack, you can get cradles that will better allow for multple yaks.
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I carry my Outback and my sit inside kayak on my roof at the same time once in a while when I'm taking my brother or wife out with me. I have a thule glide and set to carry my Outback and a malone J-style cradle to carry the sit inside kayak. Both carriers are mounted directly to my factory ford escape roof rack. I think I'm just about at the max capacity for my roof rack when I carry both, but no problems yet.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

haha, kayak sex.
        -Jon
        Revo 13

Comment

Or...do like I did- get a pickup truck and a truck extender for class iii hitch- two yaks are no problem- cut my rubber bed mat to fit the bed of my Ranger last night- still sweated my butt off, but got er done- now the yaks won't get scratched up and the fishing gear won't slide around-
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
            Or...do like I did- get a pickup truck and a truck extender for class iii hitch- two yaks are no problem- cut my rubber bed mat to fit the bed of my Ranger last night- still sweated my butt off, but got er done- now the yaks won't get scratched up and the fishing gear won't slide around-
            That's what I did ......... spent $12,000 for transportation of a $2000 yak ......... but I couldn't be happier

Comment

The window list price was $17999.99...and yeah, same result- I am very happy with my truck- and the way it loads and unloads my kayaks- thanks for all the suggestions on the truck extender- gotta agree that is the way to haul kayaks in a pickup truck-
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
              X