No announcement yet.

Keel protector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goop would probably stick for a while, but I don't know how tough it would be.

I just remembered an old post from another forum where this guy used wear strips cut from plastic milk jugs. You can use a heat gun to preform the strips to the keel. Once you get the strip preformed, it can be glued down using 3M 5200 epoxy. Very tough stuff and I understand that it will stick to polyethylene. I think this might be an inexpensive, workable solution. If done right, I done think it would look bad at all.

Comment

I did the goop painting thing towards the end of last summer and it is holding up surprisingly well. Not very pretty but functional. I built it up close to a 1/4" and it is just now starting to get a little frayed at the edges but I think I will get through most of this year before having to reapply.

Comment

Great news! Did you use the Marine Goop or the run of the mill stuff?

Regards,

John
        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Think it was the plumbing one actually. I've heard they are all pretty much the same.

Comment

In 2012 I reported on a keel repair I did using Gulp, a nylon bolt, and a knitting needle (I made sure my wife wasn't using it anymore). That post can be viewed at http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...light=knitting.

For some reason the photos that were part of the original post are no longer there.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
            X