Outrigger/stabilizer for kayaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outrigger/stabilizer for kayaks

Just wondering if anyone has or has used them in the past. I am considering building or purchasing something to suit my needs. I'm not looking to upgrade to a yak that allows a person to stand unless someone wants to foot the bill. There are several models I would love to have, just don't have the funds for it. As for now, I am perfectly happy with the performance of my Prowler 13. Just something I am thinking about instead of getting out every couple of hours to move around some.

Thanks for any good info.

My dad has the same boat as you and he made outriggers similar to the ones in this post...
    http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2519

At first, he positioned the Scotty RAM ball mounts just behind the seat but it made paddling difficult so he moved them towards the front. They work great. I tried his boat with them down and standing is no problem. Using the Scotty RAM tubes makes them easy to fold up for when you come along side another boat or dock. They are a bit pricey though.
    <MIKE>
    Sunrise Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
    Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler

Comment

I have the outriggers for the hobie outback. I like them when I sail, but otherwise I just see them as extra drag. I do use the arm as a propstick when crabbing.
      I don't really think it adds too much as far as standing since it seems balance is a bigger issue than the stability of the yak...just my 2 cents.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

Scotty makes outriggers for kayaks that fit into a scotty mount. These look nice also:

http://www.islandhopperoutboards.com...utriggers.html

Comment

Working...
        X