Picked up a used project trailer tonight from CL for $175

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up a used project trailer tonight from CL for $175

After talking with MemoryMaker and a few others during the fish fry at Naysayer's house, I decided to begin my search for a used trailer. I came across a good deal on Craig's List this past week and picked it up tonight. It's in pretty good shape except for the springs and spring perches, which are rusted up good, and one spring perch is almost broken through. The previous owner recently re-packed the bearings, replaced all the wiring and ligting, new trailer tounge and jack. I will at least replace the spring hangers and bolts, but looks like it could use new springs and I think they would only cost about $20/side for just the springs. Tires look like they need replacing as well with cracks showing all over them. But for less than $200 I think it will do. Now I need to decide on a configuration for the rack. I'm thinking about installing some expandable steel mesh on the floor and some kind of locking storage locker on the floor and raising the kayak rack above that.

Any of you guys have this type of trailer or photos of something like that?

Nice new wiring and lighting

Broken spring hanger - still holding enough to drive it home, but it will break.
    Attached Files
    Don Haller
    Chesapeake Beach, MD
    Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
    – Benjamin Franklin

Go to TaxasKayakFisherman.com...Then go to there post your trailer forums that should help...
    Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
    Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Any ideas on where to buy a length of steel to extend the tongue a few feet?
      Don Haller
      Chesapeake Beach, MD

– Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Biggrizzly View Post
        Any ideas on where to buy a length of steel to extend the tongue a few feet?
        Sorry Don, just saw this. Talk to Donald Shaw at Shaw's welding in Annapolis. He can get it for you.

Comment

Well.... I have decide to sell this trailer. I'm afraid I may have too much trouble trying to get it tagged without a title. I have been told that a "Home Built Trailer" title request now requires an itemized list of parts and receipts for the actual build, and two photos of the "home built trailer." If it appears to be a manufactured trailer with no title they will disapprove and not provide the title that is needed for tags. Somebody else may have more tolerance for bureaucracy than I do, and can try this, but I'm not up for it. Maybe someone with a farm that needs a utility trailer may want it. I just had Dave's Trailer's in Glen Burnie repair the broken spring hanger and look the trailer over. It is road worthy and good to go with new lights, bearings and tongue jack. Ready to go.... I'd sell it for less than I have in it just to make a some money back. Let me know if anyone is interested or you know someone that can use a trailer that may take some effort to get titled and tagged. FYI - I paid $175 for the trailer and just gave Dave's Trailers $65 to replace the spring hangers. I'm open to offers.
          Don Haller
          Chesapeake Beach, MD

– Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
          X