Camera Mount Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera Mount Question

I see a variety of mounts for cameras and video cameras and have a few questions.

Do they have some type of remote to start/stop video or to act as a shutter button?

What is the consensus as to the best, affordable camera?

Is there an affordable waterproof camera that also does video?

Thanks All

I doubt a remote is practical in a water environment. I think I read that Kayak Kevin just lets his run, but this would mean lots of memory, battery, and editing. I use an Olympus Tough, it is 12 mg px., still photo, water proof to 32 ft, and shock resistant. It also does video but it is not high def., however it looks fairly good. I think I paid around $300 for it. It is small and fits right in my vest pocket.

Comment

With the word affordable being relative I will still say that the GoPro Hero HD2 is still a great camera for the money. $300 will get you a waterproof camera that is rugged and takes exceptional images. For another $100 you can get the wi-fi back for it and a waterproof remote wrist strap that will allow you to take stills or videos from your wrist or hanging from a lanyard on your vest. The remote essentially does everything the little camera LCD does to control the cameras functions. Additionally, sometime in the future GoPro will be providing software that will allow you to live stream this video to a smart phone or tablet and control dozens of cameras from that platform. The remote will also control multiple cameras if you decided to mount one up high in the rear of the boat and one down low in front.

One thing I have been wanting to do is find a clean, clear tributary and record blue crabs entering and exiting crab traps if there is enough light under the water for this. I think there is lots of area for creativity using video during these types of activities. Kayak Kevin is a prime example.

I have used GoPros for some time for recording motor sports activities as I'm an avid Autocross driver and find them to be excellent cameras that take a good amount of abuse. I'm just getting into using my cameras for fishing video.
      Don Haller
      Chesapeake Beach, MD
      Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
      – Benjamin Franklin

Comment

WiFi remote, now that is pretty slick. I have seen a lot of skiers using the Hero, they sound like a perfect camera for our use. Monopod in a crate rod holder, and you are good to go.

Comment

Working...
        X