Anchor Trolley - Make or Buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anchor Trolley - Make or Buy?

I always debate stupid stuff like this with myself, now I'll include you. Is it worth driving around gathering the stuff to make... or just buy the kit from Austin Kayak for $39?
    Don Haller
    Chesapeake Beach, MD
    Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
    – Benjamin Franklin

I made my own but the older I get the less I mind paying for convience.
    Yellow WS Ride 135
    Sand WS Tarpon 100

Comment

I set out to make my own last summer. By the time I priced everything out it was cheaper to buy the kit at basspro for $25. It comes with everything you need. Some people prefer cam cleats to hold the anchor line you could always buy that separately.

http://www.basspro.com/Kayak-Anchor-...5010036/218728
      <MIKE>
      Sunrise Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
      Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler

Comment

Great! that settles it! The Bass Pro kit looks pretty good - at least as good as the Austin Kayak, and less expensive. I wonder if they have it in stock at the store. I'll have to check on that. Thanks for the replies.
        Don Haller
        Chesapeake Beach, MD

– Benjamin Franklin

Comment

If it's not too late, a simple trolley can be made by clipping a carabiner to the carry handle on the bow and stern and stringing some line between them. I used a stainless steel ring to run the anchor line through, but another carabiner could work, too.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I make my own. I install anchor trolly on both sides. I use the anchor trolley as grab line, main sheet for a sail, and I hook every thing (i.e.,rods, net, cooler, tackle bag, stringer and a spear gun). A bunge cord as a part of the anchor trolley is very bad thing for my purposes

per one, I use a pair of stainless deck loops, 4 washers and 4 nylon thlead bolts from Austin kayaks and a piece of twine from Lowes for one side. I use bowline knots for connecting rope ends

Last edited by ComeOnFish; 08-04-2012, 03:13 PM.
            Fish like there's no tomorrow.
            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I work at bass pro as of thursday they were in stock
              Zach Moore
              Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
              Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
              Bait Towel Pro Staff
              2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
              YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

2 Stainless-steel shackles (they are super smooth and work as a pulley), $4 of nylon rope, $1.75 snaphook (use in place of a ring for safety), simple mini deck cleat = effective anchor trolley cheap ---slightly more if you have to add padeyes
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Make
                  Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Done both. Found both to be easy. Personally, I prefer to make my own. I like to make stuff.

Comment

I make my own. I use two Harken carbo 29 cheek blocks, a carabiner and some line. Simple and solid. I use a clam cleat to hold the line. That may add to the cost a bit. A simple clam shell lock will work.

Comment

Great responses! I like to make things too when I have the time. These days its been hard enough to carve out a little time to go fishing let alone to rigging or run around looking for stuff to work with. That's why the kit is attractive to me at this point. BassPro is ten minutes from work and sort of on my way home. I guess they should also have the pieces and parts to make my own as well. Cost is not the prohibitive factor in my choices as much as time these days.

Thanks again guys!
                        Don Haller
                        Chesapeake Beach, MD

– Benjamin Franklin

Comment

The $32.99 Austin Kayak trolley kit is worth it. Both of mine came with high-quality Harken pulleys (strangely, they don't advertise it, so they may use another brand sometimes), everything else you need, and all mounting hardware. Does not come with a cleat however.

And it comes in parts, so it's not like you're not "making it".
                          Mike S.
                          Hobie Outback
                          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                            The $32.99 Austin Kayak trolley kit is worth it. Both of mine came with high-quality Harken pulleys (strangely, they don't advertise it, so they may use another brand sometimes), everything else you need, and all mounting hardware. Does not come with a cleat however.

And it comes in parts, so it's not like you're not "making it".
                            Point taken
                            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                            X