X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• depth finder battery, mounting trasnducer

What is the best type of battery to use if installing a depth finder

12v or 6v

i think i might just splash in and get a depth finder mounted in.

I went fishing yesterday with 2 guys from the site and it got a little annoying for my self, as im sure for them as well for me to keep asking how deep we were.

also mounting a transducer, im curious if i can put the transducer in my dry hatch upfront, where its not 100% flat, and leave the battery in the back, or should i just put both in one place.

Im worried about transporting and the battery coming loose and knocking off the transducer.

All opinions are welcome and appreciated.
    Zach Moore
    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
    Bait Towel Pro Staff
    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Zach, here is a link to a great company. They have a very knowledgable staff, and will guide you through the process

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...xes/Categories

I have my transducer thru the scupper for accurate temp., but most go inside flat is the best.
    Good luck,Gary

Comment

I just picked up a humminbird piranha max 150 from bass pro comes with a battery and suction cup mount transducer that I just stick on the side of the boat has worked great so far whole package was $129
      2011 Feel Free Moken 12

Comment

Use a 12V. Will last longer i believe
        Malibu Stealth 14
        Perception Caster 12.5

Comment

Most fishfinders are designed to work on one voltage. The several models I have owned are all 12V. Most rechargeable batteries are rated for their longevity expressed in amp-hours. I use a 7 amp-hour battery that fits easily in a small Tupperware box. I recharge it after every trip with a small trickle charger.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

If you go back a ways in the posts, you will find many, many posts about this subject, to the point that you could become an expert. You can get the 7 to 12 ah batteries from the battery warehouse, Cabelas, BassPro or any of the kayak fishing supply companies online. You will need a small charger. You do not have to mount the battery near the unit or the transducer. Put the battery in a box situated where you want it. Most FF do run on 12 volt. Good Luck.

Comment

Anyone using Li-Po over the lead acid alarm batt's ??

Slack
              Captian of the plastic Navy
              1 - Mad River Canoes
              1- Tarpon 120
              1- Redfish 10
              1- Coosa HD
              2- Cuda 12
              1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BassMoore View Post
                What is the best type of battery to use if installing a depth finder

12v or 6v

i think i might just splash in and get a depth finder mounted in.

I went fishing yesterday with 2 guys from the site and it got a little annoying for my self, as im sure for them as well for me to keep asking how deep we were.

also mounting a transducer, im curious if i can put the transducer in my dry hatch upfront, where its not 100% flat, and leave the battery in the back, or should i just put both in one place.

Im worried about transporting and the battery coming loose and knocking off the transducer.

All opinions are welcome and appreciated.
                I used duct seal putty and made a flat area in the bow of my FS12T under the hatch to mount the transducer. It works great. I also use an 8 AA battery holder from radio shack to power my fishfinder. It is 12v and small/lightweight. I keep it in a small cell phone dry bag under the hatch.

Comment

I use this one: http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CGUQ8wIwAA

I've got 2 that I wire together for long trips. I looked into LiPo, but most people think they're just too dangerous for this application. I've also heard of people rigging a bunch of AA batteries together with success.

For mounting the transducer, the duct putty method works well. Wet well is better, but dry works too, though your readings won't be as detailed.
                  Mike S.
                  Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                  3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Working...
                  X