Waterproof camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterproof camera

Anyone using an inexpensive waterproof camera on their yak? Not sure I want to pay for GoPro as I don't think it would get enough use to justify having.
    2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

I used a FujiFilm F10 for a year but it died earlier this summer- I just ordered a AW100...pretty good reviews- Was going with the Panasonic Tuff series but the cost of recommended maintenance on replacing the seals and o rings put me off- Figure the Nikon was plenty good-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Ron, I bought my wife the AW100 when it first came out. I have used it a little in the kayak. It's not a bad camera and is shock and waterproof. My wife likes it, but I'm not completely happy with it. A couple of features that it doesn't have that I wish it had was time lapse mode and a wider angle lens. The huge wide angle of the GOPro is what makes it so good for sports. With the AW100 it was hard to zoom out enough and hold the camera far enough away to get a picture at times. There are not a lot of options for waterproof camas out there. THe downside to the goPro is no zoom lens. If the GoPro had a zoom, it would be the winner for me.

Comment

I have the Go Pro Hero- and now the AW100 for "hero" shots by pulling it out of my pocket

Comment

My little camera can't hold a candle to the gopro, but I bought one of these and it has taken some good pics for me. Very, very reasonable on ebay. The only problem I have had is with the mini cards....though that has nothing to do with the camera. I have had the same problem with extras I've purchased. Here is the link and a few good pics it has produced.....though I have had to reduce their size to post them http://www.ebay.com/itm/SVP-18MP-Max...6itu%3DUA%26ot
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I've had the Canon D10 for a year now. No problems, no issues. It was rated as among the best waterproof cameras for excellent still pic. Very happy with the quality pics. Its video is mediocre though, not as good as the GoPro. Bought the D10 for $300, but now you can get it for $200. A fellow once told me , "If you buy cheap, you end up buying twice."
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

All waterproof cameras have compromises...the seals have to be replaced sometime in the future- factory maintenance costs for that are almost what the camera cost new- the Go Pro uses a waterproof housing that has a glass optical lens and its video is often used in network production television and in the shark hunter History channel TV shows...it is a little quirky but so are they all-

Comment

I have a kodak playsport and an olympus stylus something. I kill cameras pretty frequently and burned through 2 of the nicer olympus tough series. This last one was cheap (under 100), takes ok pictures, has battery issues (also cheap to replace), but won't die. The playsport is pretty nice, I just need to turn it on more. It was cheap too, under $100. I'll try to dig up the old camera deal I had.
                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I use a Sony DSC-TX5. I have no complaints. It is a nice point and shoot waterproof camera. It has a touch screen viewer, which makes things easier to use. I use the GoPro cameras also video. I have the remote, but after thinking about it, I would have already missed the fish strike. So, I have now gone to using the extended battery pack. It may sound like a lot of video to go through with a front and rear kayak camera. However, with the software editing program I use, I can toggle through the video fast to find the shots I want. All and all not so bad. I have gotten used to the little quirks of the GoPro. Still learning.

Comment

Anyone have this one? http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Wate...=zg_bs_photo_4

This one looks decent too http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-PlaySpor...zg_bs_photo_39
                    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X