Electric motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric motors

Has anyone installed/used the Bass Yak electric motor kits?
    ROB
    Hobie Outback Olive
    Wilderness Tarpon 100 Orange

I put one on my native ultimate this summer. I fish mostly on Loch Raven Reservoir and the set up is real nice - especially for us older guys. Nice to have hands free to fish and also the ability to back up. I picked mine up off of ebay - it has a 30lb thrust motor which cruises about 3mph topped out. I have an agm 24 battery and it usually lasts me all day if I don't run full out all the time. I also run my fishfinder off of it.

The installation took a little while but wasn't very difficult to do. Let me know if you want to check it out sometime.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Fished the Magothy River today and the winds were making fishing around the docks hard. With an electric motor, it would have been easier and more productive.
      ROB
      Hobie Outback Olive
      Wilderness Tarpon 100 Orange

Comment

I installed one on my former kayak. It was an Ocean Kayak Big Game. It was a 55lb thrust model. I would carry two series 31 AGM deep cycles. I could troll all day with that rig. It was nice to steer the kayak with the foot pedals, while fighting a fish. I would get about 4.5 mph with a fresh charge. However, for me it was not about the speed, it was more about more area covered while trolling. Overall it was a nice rig. I now use a Torqeedo on a Hobie Pro Angler. I like the 6lb batteries vs the series 31s. Of course, those 6lb batteries cost $599+ per unit.

Another thing, if you are a fresh water fisherman, the MinnKota is a fishing trolling motor. It is very quiet.

Comment

I bought a Tarpon 140 from a gentleman on this board last summer, with a Bassyaks kit on it. Not sure if it was done at the CT facility or was done by an individual. I'm rigging it up right now (the fun part) and can't wait to get it out on the water for a little fall fishing. If you want to stop by and take a look at it let me know. I'm in Owings, Calvert County. About 10 minutes from Chesapeake Beach.

Kurt

Comment

Originally posted by jrob View Post
            Thanks for the info. Fished the Magothy River today and the winds were making fishing around the docks hard. With an electric motor, it would have been easier and more productive.
            That problem could also be solved with the Hobie Mirage Drive... less maintenance compared to motor that requires you to recharge the battery all the time and a lot lighter to load the kayak

Comment

Working...
            X