repair and re-rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• repair and re-rig

Time to re-rig my Outback- worked on it today- re-wired the fishfinder and moved the mount. The battery box setup is something I wanted to change- wires got wet and corroded- new setup should fix that problem. Still got a few things left to do...but it will all be done before Friday.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

I'm sure you'll get it all together by Friday.
    2012 Hobie Revo 13'
    2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

You should use Dielectric grease on all your connections. You can get it at any auto supply place...
      Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
      Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Yep- I did that yesterday and sealed them with RTV Silicon- Using my Outback for a year in all types of fishing, live bait, trolling, casting, jigging, etc. with the old setup let's me know what changes needs to be made...how far away my arms can reach, how many rod holders and what types, storage, live bait tanks, landing fish, taking pictures, launching and recovery...you learn a million things from experience that you can't any other way-

One thing- less is better than more- too many bling hanging off the barge is just waste- I am redoing my wet well transducer setup as well- got two new blocks of duct seal to make a mega well-
        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 09-04-2012, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post

One thing- less is better than more- too many bling hanging off the barge is just waste

I agree wholeheartedly. Take what you need for safety, what you realistically might use on that trip, and leave the rest in the vehicle. You can launch faster, carry less weight, and take out and load faster at the end of the trip. Plus there is less gear to get in the way of actual fishing.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

One thing- less is better than more- too many bling hanging off the barge is just waste-
            +1. Learned that REALLY quickly. The kitchen sink has its place...in the kitchen.
            <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Yep I'm with you Ron! KISS(Keep it simple stupid) goes a loooonnnngggg way! I used to bring a buncha lures that I was gonna try and never did...LOL Now everything goes in a little basin. Outside of that and my fish finder and rods, I don't need anything else. I can't wait til I get a new baby to rig up...

Comment

I'm all done- everything is all neat and clean- Cuda 350 Combo is working like a champ- new wet well transducer all done- even put a bucket of suds on the old girl to get the fish slime off her- ready for the tourney...

Comment

I'm all done- everything is all neat and clean- Cuda 350 Combo is working like a champ- new wet well transducer all done- even put a bucket of suds on the old girl to get the fish slime off her- ready for the tourney...
                  Nice... hopefully it gets all slimed up again in a hurry.

Originally posted by mytmouse
                  Yep I'm with you Ron! KISS(Keep it simple stupid) goes a loooonnnngggg way! I used to bring a buncha lures that I was gonna try and never did...LOL Now everything goes in a little basin. Outside of that and my fish finder and rods, I don't need anything else. I can't wait til I get a new baby to rig up...
                  Unless of course you need an anchor, safety flag, emergency rain gear, wheels, fishgrip, pliers, rod holders, camera, knife, measuring device... sigh... i always bring 30 lures and end up using 4... the thing is, the day I bring only 4, I'm gonna wish I had more.
                  Mike S.
                  Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                  3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Yeah, you're right Mike- What I was referring to was excessive rod holders and other hangs that on you drill holes in your plastic...I usually bring enough lures to fish about any situation- jigs, Gulps, bucktails, Mr. Wiffles, Hopkins, XRaps, Poppers, spoons, spinners....and always four or five rods- usually rigged with different setups with what I think I am going to start off fishing with that day-

Comment

I bought a small Pelican dry box at Dicks for $9.99, drilled a small hole in the side about three quarters of the way up that I pushed the wires into the box then sealed the hole with RTV Silicon- I used trailer wire quick disconnects with about two inches hanging off the battery box and smeared di-electical grease so the connectors are protected- I used a 5A in-line fuse (inside the box) that attaches to the hot side of the battery; the battery box is secured inside the kayak with duct seal on all four sides to keep it in place but still able to remove the box- I used two full blocks of duct seal to make a fully enclosed wet well transducer mounting right at the sail post (centerline) on the inside hull of my Outback for a shoot through the hull sonar. I used bottled water to fill the wet well to keep out contaminants and marine growth. Everything checks out, works and looks pretty nice.

Comment

Working...
                      X