Storing Kayak in Winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing Kayak in Winter

Is it safe to store it outside during Winter? My garage is full and not sure I can fit inside. I can store it under my deck with a large tarp over it. Will the cold damage the kayak?

Thanks
    David
    2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12 - Olive

Store the kayak outside during the winter is fine, just make sure the inside of the hull does not have water in it that could freeze.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Another consideration for outdoor storage is to keep the kayak from receiving direct sunlight day after day. Sunlight can weaken the plastic (although I don't know how quickly that happens). If you do store the boat outdoors, place it under a deck or cover it with a tarp or other material to extend the life of the plastic.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I don't understand the question. Storing for the winter? There are still fish to catch.

My father hangs his from the deck outside and covers them. Just be sure to store it following the manufacturer's recommendations (i.e. upside-down or on the side for Hobies, not hull down).
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Hmmm...Pro Angler 12...perhaps you'd like to store it at my house??? I promise it will only get used a few times a week!
          LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
          Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

We were all up on the Susky when it was snowing. There's no reason to put it away!

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
              We were all up on the Susky when it was snowing. There's no reason to put it away!
              frozen kayak fishing FTW!
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
                frozen kayak fishing FTW!
                To be honest, I would say that was one of my most memorable days on the water. To me, it was really cool fishing with the snow coming down. It was like taking the peacefulness of fishing and the quiet when the snow falls and combining into one. Couple that with fishing with your closest fishing buddies who you've never met but can immediately bond over some perch fishing and you have a hell of a day.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

Ehhhh..so I guess fishing in winter is good to go. Never fish in winter before on a kayak.

Thanks for all the suggestions
                  2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12 - Olive

Comment

Yeah its kinda funny when you first start out, you naturally equate warm weather to kayak fishing season. Then after while, you learn that every season can be kayak fishing season!
                    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                      Yeah its kinda funny when you first start out, you naturally equate warm weather to kayak fishing season. Then after while, you learn that every season can be kayak fishing season!
                      Probably the singular most important factor that convinced me to take the plunge, personally. Still on my first year of owning and looking forward to the next few months!
                      Hobie Revolution

Comment

A word of caution, two winters ago I stored my wife's and my kayaks outside over the winter (uncovered) and in the Spring I discovered the local squirrel population kept their teeth sharp by gnawing on both boats. Fortunately, there were no holes through either hull but they sure look bad!

Comment

DavidGQ,
                          Keep the kayak under the deck. That is fine. Though, lean the kayak against wall, one side of gunwales on the ground. Use a block of Styrofoam or padding between the kayak and the ground. Don't keep the kayak on two wooden blocks crossing the kayak for a long period. I saw permanent dents on the bottoms of the kayak many times when kayaks were on two blocks of wood in a community kayak storage. Leaning a kayak against wall with one side of gunwales on the ground is very safe for the kayak for a long period. I have three kayaks and I need to store kayaks for extended period of time in limited space. Here are the pics of a 16 footer on a home made kayak stand.

Joe
                          Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I usually fish all winter long, so I don't "store" my Kayak for the winter- I have built a storage stand inside my Pole barn where I have my lawn equipment, snow blower, etc.- That is a permanent stand built on the left side attached to the wall where the kayak slides in bow first on two rails eight feet long covered with neoprene pipe insulation rubber- the stand is about a foot higher off the floor than my scupper plug in cart- I roll the Outback to the barn (doors open of course) bow first and put the bow on the rails, walk to the stern and pick up the kayak by the carry handle and finish sliding the kayak on the rails until I can close and lock the doors- it is sitting upright just like it is in the water sitting with two feet of the bow and two feet of the stern unsupported, but with the main eight feet supported. I built the stand (customized) just for the Hobie Outback hull-
                            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                            X