Malibu 2 XL Angler solo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malibu 2 XL Angler solo?

First off allow me to introduce myself. I'm new to the forum and kayak fishing in general. I'm currently overseas but I plan to get into kayak fishing upon my return.
    I am considering buying a tandem that will mostly be used solo but I want to be able to take my wife along sometimes. Is this a mistake buying a tandem that will mostly be used solo? I've been looking at the malibu 2 xl and also the jackson big tuna. I like the big tuna but I don't think I want to spend that much money. I want to mostly fish around the bay bridge area. Is a tandem too much to handle solo in the bay? I'm pretty physically fit. I had also considered adding a bassyak to it.
    I know I could buy two singles for the price of a tandem but I don't have anywhere to store two yaks.

My next question: Is the angler version worth the extra money over the non angler version? I have a feeling I could add the two rod holders for less than the cost difference between the two yaks.

Thanks everyone and I look forward to learning more from the forum.

Regarding a tandem, it will not paddle as well as a single when you are by yourself. If you think your wife will join you some times, try to get a sense of how often that might be. I have first-hand experience in this subject. I bought my first sit-on-top kayak in 2001. I enjoyed it so much I wanted to be able to bring my wife and daughter along. I purchased a new tandem sit-on-top so the three of us could go at the same time. We went once -- neither of them wanted to go again. I ended up selling the tandem a few months later at a significantly lower price than I had paid.

Good luck on your decision.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

One of the guys on here fishes solo out of a Malibu 2 XL. That model is shorter than a lot of SOT singles, so I don't think it would be too much boat for a single paddler.
      Hobie PA 12

Comment

Cobra Kayak's Tandem is the same hull as their Fish n Dive, which is a 1 seat boat. The F n D's nickname is "the barge" but it's wide and stable with a 600# capacity. I paddled my F n D plenty, but I couldn't keep up with the crew. Sure would be nice if you could spring for a Hobie

Comment

It is hard to keep up with the Hobies, but my malibu 2 is fast enough to keep up with other paddlers. I bought my wife a pompano/tarpon 120 and I use it some but still use my tandem most of the time....now to be truthful, part of the reason for this is that my seat does not work well on the 120. The other reasons are also somewhat unique to me: 1) I'm a big guy, tandems take a lot of weight, 2) the 120 is faster, but weather cocks plenty in the wind. AS ANYONE I HAVE FISHED WITH WILL ATTEST-i tend to attract wind. The tandem is super stable even in side seas, heavy swell, and tracks great. 3) the comparison to the Cobra Fish and Dive is a good one. That is a very popular boat, especially with divers. the Malibu will not be slower than the F&D. The Malibu2 XL is a popular choice with guys who fish big swells and cold water they have out west....i'll post some links
          I would buy a hobie outback or malibu X-Factor if I could, but that is not in the cards for me. I'll keep fishing my tandem and catching plenty of fish. I will say that the xl is a better choice than the xl I have. As for the angler vs regular? The gunnels on the malibu I have are narrow so I had a hard time mounting a pole holder. You'll need to look. Also, the hatch is worth $200 for sure. Adding the hatch will cost you that much I am certain.
          I agree with John that 2 boats might be better than a tandem......but fishing together on a tandem is fun. There is a reason the malibu2 is the best selling SOT kayak in the world, it is fun to paddle together. But that being said, the pompano at west marine (tarpon 120) I bought this spring was just $399 and came with a complete fishing setup. Hard to beat......but I'll take my Malibu2 in the wind anyday.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ7_6rugf30http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJh9n...layer_embedded
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm leaning towards the Malibu XL 2 still. The hobie's don't really seem to be a good option for a tandem that can be paddled solo from what I've seen unless I'm wrong? Plus they look like they are a typically about 20lbs heavier and I will be car-topping whatever I get.

Comment

Go for it! If buying a tandem keeps the wife happy so you can fish.....you've made an excellent choice. Getting fishing is the goal.
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Excellent point kevinfry! Thanks again

Comment

Ocean Kayak Malibu Two XL

A topic that I know!

I just registered to respond to this thread. I have been reading for about a year and finally bought a kayak late this summer. I chose a tandem as I wanted to take my young son with me fishing; we both are fairly new to fishing and paddling. The OK Malibu two XL was my choice due to positive reviews, weight capacity and stability. I did not choose the angler version because I didn't like the stock gear configuration of holders and hatches (considering solo position), so I have been buying gear as I find the need. I am doing a rod holder at the front position, one at the rear, and probably a flush one midship for the solo spot. Also

As for wind we found ourselves in a 10 mph wind with <gusts our second time out and it tracked fine as long as I kept into the wind and not broadside. Lighter wind will blow the boat while stationary, together we are only like 200lbs, so I'm looking into an anchor setup. I've had 3 kids in it and it handled ok, but I needed to pay attention to weight distribution front to back.

I reconfigured it for center seat and put in some miles and I found it very easy to control even in headwinds (although I need to work on my paddling). On a calm day I could also stand at the center hatch position without tipping.

It is light enough to put on SUV roof by myself and I've carried it solo "portage-style" on my back for short distances.
                  To-date it's only been in larger lakes/reservoirs in MD, working on skills before the bay.

Hope this helps.

Comment

They don't call tandem kayaks "divorce makers" for nothing. However, as a single, they do carry a lot of gear and are wide and stable. I used to paddle an Ocean Kayak Big Game and some say they paddle like a barge. It was not bad at all.

Comment

I was about to get the two xl but found a good deal on a Hobie Odyssey.its very stable and fast BUT it catches a lot of wind. And no option for rudder. i've gone tandem from SPSP and the ocean from AI. So it works. But I would not suggest bay bridge tandem, wind and waves change so quickly. It sits high so it catches a lot of wind, I almost didn't make it back to gdocks yesterday.

Side note.. Its difficult to paddle with two people. especially if they're not as strong as you.

Comment

I am pretty sure the nucanoe can be configured both solo and tandem. Something to keep in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by kuljc View Post
                          I was about to get the two xl but found a good deal on a Hobie Odyssey.its very stable and fast BUT it catches a lot of wind. And no option for rudder. i've gone tandem from SPSP and the ocean from AI. So it works. But I would not suggest bay bridge tandem, wind and waves change so quickly. It sits high so it catches a lot of wind, I almost didn't make it back to gdocks yesterday.

Side note.. Its difficult to paddle with two people. especially if they're not as strong as you.
                          Are you saying you wouldn't fish "tandem" as in with two people in the yak. Or you wouldn't use a tandem kayak period in the bay? Even with one person in it? I will probably do most of my fishing near the bay bridge.

So I'm still thinking Malibu Two XL more than likely but I just realized they also make the Zest Two EXP. I noticed a few people fish with it solo with some ballast in the front. A lot of people use it for a solo dive platform too. It's 16' 4" long and 30.5" wide so it should be a lot faster than the 34" beam of the Malibu two XL. So now I'm slightly considering the Zest as well. However it would be a lot more difficult to cart top I'm sure. It's only 10LB's heavier but It's going to be a lot more awkward.

Comment

Originally posted by mudbug View Post
                            Are you saying you wouldn't fish "tandem" as in with two people in the yak. Or you wouldn't use a tandem kayak period in the bay? Even with one person in it? I will probably do most of my fishing near the bay bridge.

So I'm still thinking Malibu Two XL more than likely but I just realized they also make the Zest Two EXP. I noticed a few people fish with it solo with some ballast in the front. A lot of people use it for a solo dive platform too. It's 16' 4" long and 30.5" wide so it should be a lot faster than the 34" beam of the Malibu two XL. So now I'm slightly considering the Zest as well. However it would be a lot more difficult to cart top I'm sure. It's only 10LB's heavier but It's going to be a lot more awkward.
                            I was trying to say wouldn't suggest doing tandem when fishing the bridge (along the pillars of the bridge). But I would suggest fishing tandem (and do) at other places in the bay like SPSP, PLO, piney point, kent narrows, etc. going try matapeake soon. mainly because you don't have to paddle out far, and you're always relatively close to shore. so if the wind and waves pick up, there's a much less chance of getting stuck out there. This is because, it's a LOT harder to paddle with two people on the yak. Unless you guys practice a lot and get really good at it, then I can imagine that it'll be easier. But since my wife isn't very strong and we don't go yaking that often, I doubt we'll ever be really good at paddling together. It works, and we have a lot of fun when we go fishing tandem though. and once you rig it with rod holders, milk crate, etc. it'll be decent solo as well.

WOW that zest two EXP is LONG!!! it seems like it won't sit that high on the water, so wind might not push you sideways as hard. You'd definitely need a rudder when padding solo, but it looks good because you CAN put a rudder on it. I realized my hobie 14' tracks well, but if I had to do it again I'd look for something with a rudder.

Comment

Mudbug,

A16 footer is very hard to maneuver when fishing very close to the structures.

When you fish with a woman, you fish close to the good clean facility artificial or natural. The private natural facility may not be available for women depending on the beach. I check the availability of the natural facilities always before I pick the fishing spot (especially when I wear a wader)

Unavailability of the facility is one of the major reasons why the most of women don’t do kayak-fishing.

My wife and I have used OK Malibu 2xl often in 2-3’ chops. When I was alone I never thought Malibu 2xl was slow. I carried only one rod for my wife, and I was the only one who paddled the most of time when we fished on a Malibu 2xl.

joe
                              Last edited by ComeOnFish; 09-25-2012, 06:36 PM.
                              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
                              X