My NO-DRILL rigging systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My NO-DRILL rigging systems

Being a newbie and not wanting to drill holes in my new yak, mainly because i want to see how i like things (position, materials, functionality) before commiting to their location, i have come up w the following systems for my anchor trolley and FF sonar. The "tarp bungees" are very handy and allow me to remove my trolley easily and relocate my sonar system depending on where i am seated. Two of the bungees holding the sonar system came installed. I originally had the sonar on an "L" shaped pvc off the front and it did not work well, rotated (sway back/forth) w every stroke. This system allows me to rotate the sonar out of harms way as i approach land, the ramp or underwater obstruction. in the up position it is still under my are while paddling. I cant take complete credit for the tarp bungees...saw it on a youtube vid.
    Attached Files
    Jackson - BIG TUNA

Interesting, love the chaise lounge accoutrement. Have you tested it on the open water? These boats are designed a certain way, and adding an elevated chair could make things a bit topheavy. Not to rain on your parade at all, but I'd check it in shallow water w/ gear tied down and w/ clothes that you wouldn't mind getting wet. Never know what a new set-up could do to the boat's seaworthiness.

Comment

Wfauby,
      Nice work on developing something to work for you. Us kayak fisherman can come up with some creative solutions to problems, or just steal ideas from other kayak fisherman if we cant come up with ideas on our own

Fishinfool,
      I believe the kayak is a Jackson Cuda. The Cuda comes from the factory with the seating arrangement pictured. This kayak is built for stand-up fishing and is very stable from what I've heard.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

oh yeah...that seating position is actually factory, it works great for the lakes and rivers i paddle...probably not the Bay with rollers, but i dont (havent) fished the bay. Its only reclined due to hauling, less wind resistance. Also the Jackson is fairly wide and heavy at 85lbs. I have a lower seating position, just in front of where it is shown in the pics that works just fine but i prefer the upper. I have actually trolled with my daughter facing backwards from this position and me in a seat just forward of this one...i will post pics when available. She loves it...places her feet inside the rear hold, shown in pic 2 with lid on.
        Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
          Interesting, love the chaise lounge accoutrement. Have you tested it on the open water? These boats are designed a certain way, and adding an elevated chair could make things a bit topheavy. Not to rain on your parade at all, but I'd check it in shallow water w/ gear tied down and w/ clothes that you wouldn't mind getting wet. Never know what a new set-up could do to the boat's seaworthiness.
          Uh, the "lounge chair" is the elite seat from Jackson Kayak. It is one of the best features of Jackson's kayaks and very comfy.

Comment

Anchor Point

I love the idea of using the brass spring loaded swivel gizmo attached to your kayak's side carry handles. I'll have to pick up one and a brass ring to use as an anchor point. So simple I would have never thought of it.

Comment

Its OK to drill. We all kind of started out that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Southerly
                "drill baby, drill"

actually, i just got out the 2" hole saw and put two giant holes in my oasis to install flushmount rodholders. a little scary? yeah. perfect placement? uhhh,..
                The only way to permanently setup your accessories is to put a hole in plastic- I got out my hole saw recently to mount my Fishfinder/GPS Combo in a more convenient place easy to reach and set way points-
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                  The only way to permanently setup your accessories is to put a hole in plastic- I got out my hole saw recently to mount my Fishfinder/GPS Combo in a more convenient place easy to reach and set way points-
                  Yep, but it still hurts the first time!
                  LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                  Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

I also have a Jackson Big Tuna and have tried all of the seating configurations and they all work pretty darn good. With the seat up high it can get a bit rocky but it would take quite a bit to actually put this 36" beam upside down. I have slipped out before but the boat didn't even consider flipping. I prefer the seat in the low position but that is what is so neat about this design; you can change it up to many different combinations.

Hope you enjoy your Tuna!
                    Don Haller
                    Chesapeake Beach, MD
                    Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
                    – Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I forgot to mention that I used a scupper mount for my transducer and it works great. Not sure what FF you got but it could eliminate a lot of PVC.
                      Don Haller
                      Chesapeake Beach, MD
                      Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
                      – Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                      X